14.1 The Ripple On The Still Waters

Night.

The night of the higher realms is almost as opposite of that below. When the sky shifted its heavenly bodies, the people also tend to follow the trend basing their activities to the time of the day. But the dragons would never obey such occasion and would base their activities on the mood and fun that they have.

It was already night but the gods are still on their bustling adventures. The shops that never closed since eternity called in costumers as they lure newfound spirits on their stalls. Minor gods are often found to be chatting on every street corner sharing their opinions about the number of worshipers they have or how much paper money one received as an offering.

The older gods are also around mostly found in a circle of young kids. These grandpas and grandmas are watching over their grandchildren when the parents are away from work. Most of older generations had retired on their own households and would spend their time taking good care of the young ones. They still have duties as gods but they often let their subordinates to handle them most of the time.

There are also gods that are considered as worker ants. It is because their roles in the society are very important and the scope of their duties relates to the common folk. These gods can be considered as big shots and are even working more work than the Emperor is. They are the ministers that have their own specialties, like, one god is responsible for fortune telling and the other is for medicine. They are the common gods that one prays when a certain help is needed.

Though, there are gods that are known for freeloading. These gods are not lazy but the cause of their decline is the loss of worshipers. This happens when one generation comes to an end and a deity loses its influence. These gods will still be able to live long though as long as they are not banished from the heavens.

However, something seems to be different in this night.

The streets are still bustling from the flow of people but there is a cautious air over the crowd. There is lesser number of gods wandering and the children that mostly play at night are locked on their houses guarded by their elders. The gods that could not avoid going out from their temples are walking in pairs or in groups, never letting themselves to be alone as they watch each other backs from any suspicious person.

Since the news about the god killer appeared, the gods started to get careful. A god will not die as long as there are worshipers and the soul can be retrieved through being born again. But the said god killer is carrying a weapon that could not only stop the god from reincarnating, it also takes the god head that is said to be the most important part of a god. Stealing ones godhead means that the god killer is not afraid of the tribulation, nor is it afraid to be killed by the emperor.

So far, there are eleven gods who are killed; two more and the seal of the covenant will complete its cycle. Once that happens, the heavens will eventually show its verdict and a thousand lashes of the tribulation would come down to punish the murderer. This seems to be a good way to settle a criminal but it also brings bad luck to gods.

It has been written on the records that the appearance of the seal of the covenant means that a great retribution will come. May it be a disaster or war, nobody knows but it only implies that bloodshed will come after. The disturbances to the balance of the realm will cause a rift of space creating unimaginable disasters that could end a race, or destroying the world.

It's a possibility that will cease to exist.

In a far corner where darkness lies, a rather young god is having a stroll. He just finished doing his jobs and is going home from work. He just said goodbye from the shop that he was working and whistled his way towards the dark alley. He looked up in the sky and noticed the dark clouds covering the usually bright lit moon.