6.8 The Empress's Rite

The first challenge was announced three days later during the daily court meeting. The emperor with JiDan walked out from the palace to which the people chanted their praises and greetings. After a few words, Yu XueQin sat on his throne and beside him stands the prince. JiDan should be sitting in one of the chairs beside the Emperor. However, due to not having Lang Yuan as the Empress, he must remain standing with some of the closer officials behind. Even though everyone already knows JiDan is already promoted as the crowned prince as long as there's no formal introduction then things should stay as how it was in tradition.

On the square ground right just before the flight of stairs, the harem and the lower officials kneeled with their heads bowed low to the ground. From afar, one can easily see the beautiful robes of the ladies as it was spread out around them when kneeling. They are truly the flowers on the Emperor's garden, each holding their own way of beauty making everyone mesmerized.

On the other hand, Lang Yuan is also kneeling on the same platform but in a rather obvious distance. He only has himself kneeling that made him look pitiful than the harem that was clumped in one side. Though, nobody underestimated the youth's beauty. His hair was tied in beautiful locks ornamented with the finest comb and pins partnered with a white robe with pink petals design. His face was only painted thinly, the artist saying that Lang Yuan already has a beautiful face and only added a few pink blushes and eye lines to emphasize its shape.

Lang Yuan is feeling a bit down when they told him he's beautiful. He's rather accept the term 'average' than to be called beautiful. If ever they really wanted to compliment him, at least say that he is handsome.

The first part of the court meeting would be the discussion about the World's affair. During this time, the ministers will start reporting about the progress of their works or voicing out some concerns about the Human Realm and their own. The emperor would listen to their problems and the possible answers and solution. Though, it is still up to the emperor to approve such actions, or if there are alternatives that could be done.

None of the concubines showed interest to the political affairs. Rather, some of them did not understand the terms and trends the men are discussing. Lou MuLan can be said as an elite when it comes to her strong will power but her strength only comes to action and not thinking. That's why she did not comprehend the solutions Yu XueQin gave out after hearing the problems.

The other concubines share the same thought. After all, even though they are intelligent, the scope is only up to literature and performing arts. There might be a little knowledge about basic combat but that is only for pure defense. There are men inside the palace. They are responsible for these affairs while women would often stay in the house to take good care of the children and the household.

On the other hand, Lang Yuan listened intently while thinking how the management in this world is full of holes compared to the world he is from. When it comes to agriculture, this world did not about circulating the crops to maintain the nutrients of the soil, or about cutting some trees to protect forest areas. They also don't have the idea of irrigation and slope farming to use mountains to its maximum. Lang Yuan is not a farmer and did not have the experience at hand but this is common knowledge taught in middle school.

That's why he is so itchy to raise his hand up like a student to answer the best solutions that he can bring to make this place more harmonious. It's just that this thought was quickly blocked by his status in this world. What the emperor knows about him is that he is an orphan who never even once went to any school to study. To say these magnanimous ideas, will not the emperor question his credibility? Yu XueQin is already suspecting him. He didn't want to put more fuel to the fire.