10.2 A Song To Your Heart

It only needed a few hours and Lang Yuan is already capable of playing the zither instruments. Even the masters in music cannot do anything than to just leave the Empress Candidate to practice. Zhong Song wanted to stay to watch Lang Yuan practice but suddenly the emperor summoned him. JiDan was also ordered to come, leaving the human alone on the gazebo. Though, there are shadow guards watching him on the sidelines so none of the royalties are worried.

Currently, Lang Yuan is playing a few notes. Actually, his mind is wandering around just letting his hands do the music. It was soft and fluttering, like a kiss of the dragonfly to the water. The touch is fast and quick, yet lazy enough to linger for a while. The workers around the pond listened to the song as they peacefully do their jobs.

The player who is currently in daze watched the clear waters of the pond. The lotus pods are floating astray, with peach colored flowers blooming in different sizes. One time, a fish would leap up to catch its food or frogs will croak to call a mate. Lang Yuan's figure can be seen as an ethereal image floating on the mist of the fair day.

[Play a song for me, will you?]

"What are thinking?"

Lang Yuan flinched when suddenly a voice rang out from nowhere whispered on his left ear. Making a faulty note, the tranquil atmosphere was disturbed making those who are listening intently to look at the player on the gazebo. At the platform, they only saw Lang Yuan shaking his head. Maybe an insect surprised the Empress Candidate.

But in reality, there is this black masked man who is here again to disturb him. The black masked man is hidden behind the post facing Lang Yuan, keeping him out of sight from the workers. Lang Yuan shook his head wondering why this annoying stranger is here again.

"Did I disturb your practice?" Zhen asked.

"More or less, you don't know the answer?" Lang Yuan didn't look up to see the man but instead took care to the string that he almost break. He rested his palms to the strings to calm the vibrations down.

"Hmmm... let's see... I'm just curious, the Empress Candidate is playing in a daze while thinking something. The Empress Candidate must have been worried."

Zhen used a concealing spell as he walked out from the post. Only Lang Yuan can see him, and the shadow guards who are on the sidelines watching the usual show. He sat in front of the guqin and stared at Lang Yuan, propping his one chin by one hand and the knees supporting the elbows. He then carefully stared at the face of the youth.

"It seems that you are really thinking deeply. What is it?" He asked.

Lang Yuan raised his eyebrows up to satisfy the black masked man and retorted: "Why are you here again? I will call the guards."

Zhen only shrugged his shoulders as if saying 'It's none of my business'. Lang Yuan only rolled his eyes and started plucking the guqin, but this time the volume is minimized as if he's only rehearsing. Zhen watched the boy, his eyelashes fluttering while focused on the instrument on his hands.

"Are you thinking of a past lover?" Zhen suddenly said.

Lang Yuan halted his playing for a second, missing his second note for today. But he continued, ignoring the black masked man. Zhen heaved a sigh, knowing what that silence means. To earn this person's heart, he must eliminate the existence of that lover. By the way Lang Yuan shows it, their relationship must be already history.

Who is this lover that made him feel like this? Who even dared to hurt this fragile kid?

"There were no us," Lang Yuan quietly said.

"Hmmm?"

"We are never together," Lang Yuan admitted.

"Oh? So this delicate young master did have an affair. I'm surprised," Zhen mocked. "And as for the other, that person must have a very low IQ to not keep you and handle you with care."