When she came back

She said two weeks. That's what she promised. Two weeks. But she never came. You waited for days, days turned to weeks, weeks turned to months, months turned to years. It had been over nine years since you'd last seen that wonderful box and the amazing people inside. It had been so long ago that you'd long forgotten about them now.

Instead you were sat on the edge of your balcony railing. Each day you'd edge closer and closer to the edge, to the drop. You were sat with your legs dangling out and your hands were full of bottles of different alcoholic drinks, taking over your body. Earphones blasting music were in your ears, blocking out the world. So all you could feel was the soft wind gliding across your body.

You took a sip of your drink, your hands shaking a little from the excessive drinking and the cold. It was no secret you had become quite the alcoholic. The burning down your throat helped with the voices that had never left you your whole life and managed to, by some miracle, expel the harsh memories of the day.

Although you had gotten a great opportunity in work with your music, at home, you were currently around an abusive boyfriend. He had just had an argument with you a few hours ago which of course led to him beating you. Anger was a problem he seemed to find difficult to control and something he took out on you as his object, like his personal punching bag. Of course you'd told no one but you had gained many new scars.

You were drinking as much as you could to try and forget those memories. It usually helped. The burning down your throat as you took gulps of the harsh liquid, distracting you from your troubles. The music helped to calm you down and the wind helped dry up the tears.

The music was so loud that you didn't notice the whoozing noise fill your living room. That noise you'd always dreamed of hearing again. And you didn't get to hear it. Your face was looking out into the dark, midnight, Sheffield air, the drink affecting your coordination.

Behind you, the doctor stepped out, the woman you'd missed for your life. The one who left you for years on your own. She stepped out and immediately felt the cold air hit her from the balcony.

She turned and saw the many empty glass alcohol bottles on the floor around you and the one in your hand as you took sips. You didn't notice from the music and the drink as she walked confusedly towards you.

She realised that you were sitting on the barrister, close to the drop edge. The doctor seemed confused as to who you were until she stepped a little further forward, recognising that (h/c) hair anywhere. Recognising the way you listened to music when you were upset.

She quickly grabbed you by the waist and pulled you back, not giving you any chance of falling. It came as a shock to you as you thought you were completely alone. Your earphones fell out as you fell backwards.

"Whoa...what the..ffuckkk" you slurred, trying to stand up.

The doctor had already stood up properly and came forward to help you but you flinched away, fearing any physical touch. You managed to stand up, just about balancing upright. You stared forward but could barely see straight and couldn't really figure anything out.

"Don't tttouuucchh mmeee" you slurred, stumbling a little as you stepped back.

"(Y/n), is that you? Oh god..how long has it been..." the doctor asked, coming forward.

You stumbled back again, hitting the bannisters.

"How do you know mmmy name? Who arre you?" You asked, trying to stop the spinning world influenced by nothing but alcohol.

"You shouldn't be drinking like this" she said in concern, taking the bottle out of your hand and putting it down, staring at the other bottles scattered across the floor.