Picking the lock

You moved the pin around in the lock, quickly figuring out it was a lot more difficult to pick than any other lock you'd had to deal with before. Alien locks might not even be able to pick. Yet here you were still trying. You moved it around a little more vigorously, but still making sure not to break the pin.

You knew everyone was watching you at work and you didn't mind them watching you. It was just the doctor's eyes that made you a little uneasy. The way she trailed off when trying to talk about that night you were accused of murder just brought back so many memories. The doctor didn't believe you that day, nor did anyone else. And that was what pushed you to ask to leave. And that was the point. You asked to leave. And the fact you shouted at the doctor wasn't right. Even if it did turn out to be nine years late when she came back, it was still you that asked to go. And you didn't even apologise for it.

"Doctor" you said quietly, keeping your eyes on the lock.

"Yes" She said, watching your face more than your hands at work now.

"I never really got to say properly..." you sighed a little, pausing and thinking of how to say it.

"Never really said what properly?" She asked, a little confused and a tad intrigued.

"I'm sorry. For..everything. I didn't mean to have a go at you earlier about leaving. I need you to know that I'm not angry and I don't blame you. I blame myself more than anything. But I don't feel anger or blame towards you okay. And..yeah it's gonna come out now and again, but you need to know that I didn't mean any of that stuff I said. I don't blame you" you said, keeping your eyes on the lock and trying to ignore the time lady's old eyes "I'm just sorry" you mumbled quietly.

"So am I" She said just as quietly.

You furrowed your eyebrows in confusion. You continued working on the lock, turning your head slightly to look at the doctor, glancing between her and the lock.

"What for?" You asked.

"So many things (y/n). For not believing you that day. For making you go through all of that prison nonsense. Accused for murder, how did I think you did that? Sorry for not believing you. And for being late. And for not keeping you safe...from everything" she said, looking away herself now in sadness.

She hugged Yaz a little tighter to help comfort herself. She thought she wasn't keeping you very safe. Not by keeping getting you into trouble at different planets and having to deal with you self harming and abusing the use of alcohol. You shook your head, sighing. And the guilt of thinking you murdered someone still hung over her hearts.

"That's Fine Doctor. I don't blame you for what happened back then. Or about the whole nine year thing. I know how the TARDIS can be stubborn sometimes. But you shouldn't feel like you need to say sorry. I don't blame you. And you're keeping me the most safe I've been in years just by being around you. You might not think it, but I'm safer when I'm with you guys, in the TARDIS. Even in this cage. Don't feel the need to say sorry all the time. I forgive you. That apologising should be me from my foul language and attitude towards you. I'm sorry" you told her, smiling a little.

"It's okay" the doctor smiled.

"But...you do owe me nine years worth of favours" you quickly added, smiling.

"I thought taking you to see the stars was enough" the doctor replied.

You laughed and nodded, concentrating back on the lock. It was a stubborn one, harder than you thought it would be to unlock. You clenched your teeth in frustration at the lock, releasing an angry breath through your nose.

"This damn lock!" You shouted, kicking the cage, only for you to quickly retract your foot and wine in pain.

You let go of the pin, grabbing your foot and huffing. You stared at the door for a little bit, then saw that everyone was staring at you. You gave a nervous laugh before swiftly turning back to the pin. You furrowed your eyebrows in concentration, careful not to break the pin.

You could slowly but surely feel the lock get looser. You put your head towards the lock, your ear pressed tightly up against it so you could hear your progress. And after a lot of hard work and concentration, you heard a small click. You smiled in triumph, lifting your head back up and trying the door.

"It's open" you said happily, opening the door.

"Good work (y/n)!" The doctor smiled, getting up with Yaz. "Absolutely brilliant!"

You smiled, walking through the door. Everyone got out of the cage quietly, making sure not to make too much noise and grab anyone's attention.

You walked over to the still caged up animals and sighed, turning back to the doctor.

"What do we do now? You don't have your sonic to get them all out and it's gonna take forever for me to open all these with a bobby pin. Long enough that we'll definitely be thrown back into a cell" you told the doctor.

She looked at the animals sadly, before looking around her. She looked down the warehouse in both directions before turning back to face you all.

"We'll go give those two people we met earlier" the doctor said, walking down the warehouse confidently.

You all followed quietly, you giving the doctor a confused look.

"What, and just ask for your sonic back?" You asked, walking quickly with the doctor's strides.

"Yup" The doctor replied, popping the p.

You sighed, knowing that this was going to get complicated pretty quickly.

"What if they don't just give it back?" Graham asked, clearly thinking out loud.

The doctor smirked a little, walking down with her lilac coat swaying behind her.

"Then I'll just have to ask a little less nicely" she replied.