❄7) Hoping 🍀

"I had no wish to see any more children die." Your trainer stood back, "I did not intend to send you both to final selection."

He placed a hand on both of your heads, "But you did well."

"Go to the final selection, but be sure to return alive... Nezuko and I are here waiting."

//////////

After you had cut Tanjirou's hair reluctantly (you actually liked it long), he was given a new mask to ward off demons. You were also given one to disguise your demon identity, so getting into the area wouldn't harm you.

Your teacher took this moment as an opportunity to explain to you about weapons, and weak points on demons.

He pointed out how the neck was always a weakness on their bodies, and how they could regenerate at amazing speeds. A normal katana wouldn't be able to kill a demon, even if it sliced the neck.

"The swords that Demon Slayers use, are made from special steel. We call them Nichirin Swords."

Once he was done doing his last-minute teaching, you and Tanjirou head out, leaving a sleeping Nezuko behind.

"We're on our way Mr Urokodaki!" You waved him goodbye.

"Yeah, give my best to Sabito and Makomo!" Tanjirou smiled as you caught the shock in your trainer's aura.

'I bet you're wondering how we saw those poor dead kids...' You thought, heading out with your partner.

////////// At Mount Fujikasane...

You were captivated by the many blooming flowers, all of which were strangely out of time with the real season.

"These shouldn't be blooming at this time of year, right (Y/n)." You nodded,

"This place is guarded against demons by them somehow... Thank Kami I have my mask.."

You both finally made your way up to the top of the stairs, hearts racing

You both finally made your way up to the top of the stairs, hearts racing. To your surprise, there was actually a lot of kids, you probably one of the oldest.

"Look how many are here!" Your teammate gasped as your eyes caught sight of a boy with electric yellow hair.

'Wierd...' He seemed so on edge.

Everyone turned their attention to the two small children at the front of the gathering.

"Greetings everyone. Thank you all for gathering tonight for the final selection." You tilted your head as they continued, "Mount Fujikasane holds demons that past swordsmen have taken alive and trapped here."

The other added, " Demons hate wisteria flowers, which bloom here even out of season." They continued to explain how it carried on until the point you were high up the mountain.

"Demons roam free from this point onwards, you must survive there for seven days... Now go."

You were quite surprised when you both made it to the area with demons. It had been so long since you had seen such uncivilized behaviour.

Tanjirou seemed nervous, so you held his hand momentarily, "We've got this."

He blushed, and nodded curtly, "Thanks (Y/n)." You let his hand go, and you both took out your swords.

Soon, a demon came into view in the dark depths of the forest, and it made a beeline for the two of you. But to your shock, another came in the way, both fighting over who got to kill you.

"The one who kills them first gets to eat them!"

They both pounced towards you, and Tanjirou began his Water breathing, you doing your Snow breathing too.

Your temperature dropped, allowing you to focus on your opponent's heat.

You used your infrared vision to target their necks, "Snow breath; First style, Snowflake Blade!" In an instant, your katana's blade turned freezing and sharp.

Your attack was partly successful, with Tanjirou giving the last blow, "Fourth Form; Striking Tide!"

You took the time to pray for the fallen with Tanjirou, and continued your journey.

"You've gotten stronger, Tanjirou." You smiled under your mask, and he blushed once more.

He stopped abruptly, making you run into him, and he clutched his nose, "What's that rotten smell?" He grimaced, as a boy ran past you both.

"There's a huge deformed demon back there!" He cried out, "I've never seen anything like it!"

As if on cue, the disgusting being burst from between some trees, one of his hands clutching a dead boy by the neck.

"How dare he.." You growled, emotions slightly out of check, "How could you!"

A hand went shooting for the running boy, getting his leg and you moved on instinct, slicing the boy free in a few seconds.

However another hand shot for you whilst you were in midair, aiming for your face,
"(Y/n)!"

It managed to get a hold of you, applying so much pressure it broke your special mask to shattered pieces.

"Water breathing; Form 2, water wheel!" Your unconscious form was saved, having been caught by Tanjirou, and the hand, severed on the ground.

You had passed out cold from shock, and the red-haired male didn't know if he would forgive himself if you died here.

"(Y/n)...Wait here." He placed his protective mask onto you, and left you lying next to the boy.

The green demon had focused on the mask you now wore, "Another of my dear... Foxes has come!" It sang in delight.

Even in your slight coma, your heart beated way beyond its normal rate.

It beat a prayer that Tanjirou would be okay.

I will try to publish another chapter, hopefully by the end of today!

Thanks for reading!