[20]

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

As Sara and Nico left the greenhouse, after Harry and Ron, for their Care of Magical Creatures class, they saw Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle descending the stone steps of the castle. Pansy Parkinson was whispering and giggling behind them with her gang of Slytherin girls. Catching sight of Harry, Pansy called, "Potter, have you split up with your girlfriend? Why was she so upset at breakfast?"

Hagrid, who had told them last lesson that they had finished with unicorns, was waiting for them outside his cabin with a fresh supply of open crates at his feet. Sara's heart sank at the sight of the crates - surely not another skrewt hatching? - but when she got near enough to see inside, she found herself looking at a number of flurry black creatures with long snouts. Their front paws were curiously flat, like spades, and they were blinking up at the class, looking politely puzzled at all the attention.

'These're nifflers,' Hagrid said, when the class had gathered around. "Yeh find 'em down mines mostly. They like sparkly stuff. . . . There yeh go, look. "

One of the nifflers had suddenly leapt up and attempted to bite Pansy Parkinson's watch off her wrist. She shrieked and jumped backward.

'Useful little treasure detectors,' Hagrid continued happily. "Thought we'd have some fun with 'em today. See over there?" He pointed at a large patch of freshly turned earth. "I've buried some gold coins. I've got a prize fer whoever picks the niffler that digs up most. Jus' take off all yer valuables, an' choose a niffler, an get ready ter set 'em loose. "

Sara took off her necklace, and stuffed it into her pocket. Then she picked up a niffler. It put its long snout in Sara's ear and sniffed enthusiastically. It was really quite cuddly.

'Awww,' she said, and Nico winked at her before he got a niffler for himself.

'Hang on,' Hagrid said, looking down into the crate, "there's a spare niffler here. . . who's missin? Where's Hermione?"

'She had to go to the hospital wing,' they heard Ron whispering.

'We'll explain later,' Harry muttered; Pansy Parkinson was listening.

It was easily the most fun they had ever had in Care of Magical Creatures. The nifflers dived in and out of the patch of earth as though it were water, each scurrying back to the student who had released it and spitting gold into their hands. Ron's was particularly efficient; it had soon filled his lap with coins.

'Can you buy these as pets, Hagrid?' Ron asked excitedly as his niffler dived back into the soil, splattering his robes.

'Yer mum wouldn' be happy, Ron,' he said, grinning. "They wreck houses, nifflers. I reckon they've nearly got the lot, now," he added, pacing around the patch of earth while the nifflers continued to dive. "I on'y buried a hundred coins. Oh there y'are, Hermione!"

Hermione was walking toward them across the lawn. Her hands were very heavily bandaged and she looked miserable. Pansy Parkinson was watching her beadily.

'Well, let's check how yeh've done!' Hagrid said. "Count yer coins! An' there's no point tryin' ter steal any, Goyle," he added, his beetle-black eyes narrowed. "It's leprechaun gold. Vanishes after a few hours. "

Goyle emptied his pockets, looking extremely sulky. It turned out that Ron's niffler had been most successful, so Hagrid gave him an enormous slab of Honeyduke's chocolate for a prize. The bell rang across the grounds for lunch; the rest of the class set off back to the castle, but Sara, Nico, Harry, Ron, and Hermione stayed behind to help Hagrid put the nifflers back in their boxes. Sara noticed Madame Maxime watching them out other carriage window.