Chapter 15

~ Jenna's POV ~

He's asleep. Clothes on and everything. He must be all worn out, my poor poor Marshall. As sadly as it is I think that I've blown this with all my baggage. After my breakdown he still wanted me near, but that must be because he does not want me to hurt myself, not under his watch. He must think I'm a looney.

You are, you lunatic. Think that I have to be ashamed over you everywhere.

I'm so worthless. I don't deserve this man's kindness, I know that. I'm going to be alone forever, but with these memories, of this weekend that will be okay. I don't want any other man after Marshall anyway.

I sit down beside him and watch him sleep for a while. He snores lightly and he's adorable.

He puts on this hard mask in public, but I know different. I know he is thoughtful, kind, considerate, funny, humble, yes the list goes on.

I caress his cheek and he moves a bit. I freeze. I don't want to wake him. He's been working so hard.

I lay myself down beside him. For the longest time I look at him sleeping, fantasizing about the life that we'll never share. This wasn't meant to be I might as well accept it.

You bitch Imma get you and when I do, damn if you can walk tomorrow, you old hag.

In my dream my mother still lived with us. It was so odd. I haven't thought of her for a long time. Now she was back and my father chased her around our little apartment.

I tried to make him stop but it was like if I was stuck in glue. I was little again and sat underneath our kitchen table, watching their brawl.

Imma fuckin' kill you!

The scene shifted and now she was gone and I was older. He had me cornered in the living room and I knew what was coming. He was going to use his belt on me. I hated that because he was too drunk to feel how hard he was hitting. Sometimes he let the buckle do the job for him. I tried to shield my face.

Not the face daddy.

No daddy, please no!

You are a whore like your mother. Get over here and give me something to drink, skank.

I took care of the household now. All I did, when I wasn't at work was to serve him. I cooked, cleaned and did his laundry. Day in and day out. In my dreams he always wanted to humiliate me, just as he did when he was alive. Like now in this dream, when he sat at the kitchen table, drunk out of his mind and throw food at me when I came close enough.

You're so fuckin' ugly you gonna need to pay men to fuck ya!!

No man in his right mind would ever want me. My dream shifted again. Now I saw Marshall fade away, like in a mist. I ran around and called out for him but as soon as I saw him, he disappeared again. I can't find him. Marshall! Please stay. I'll be good, I promise. But he leaves. He gets lost in a big bed filled with strippers, all of them laughing at me. He's gone.

~ Marshall's POV ~

I wake up with a twitch. Shit, I've must have fallen asleep. I remember waiting for Jenna while she took a shower. After that, nothing. Now it was dark and the watch on my wrist said 3:04 a.m. I notice that Jenna tosses and turns beside me. That must have been the reason I woke up in the first place. She whimpered and cried-out a bit and I put my hand on her shoulder, shrugged her mildly.