Chapter 47

~ Jenna's POV ~

I've pleaded, I've prayed and I've demanded my phone back but Chrissy won't give in on this. She has this absurd idea that it's Marshall's fault that I'm depressed and I can't seem to change her mind. Poor Marshall, I know that he must out of his mind right now after his last call when he heard me scream like a maniac as Chrissy told him how I was.

I've just lost all my will to live and now when I'm trapped here, in her house without my calls to Marshall I can't find it again. Chrissy tells me that I'll be alright if I only get some distance between us but she's dead wrong.

I had a long talk to my brother about me being okay to go home but he totally relies at his wife in this. So he couldn't help me either.

Emily and I hadn't talked yet I think Chrissy is keeping her away from me because she knows that I can ask Emily to slip messages to Marshall from me. I need him to know that I'm okay under the circumstances.

Chrissy is feeding me and the other night when I came here she bathed me too. I was a mess, I know that but I'm an adult, I can take care of myself. I'm out of bed now and Emily and I are sitting in the living room watching TV under supervision of Chrissy. I've lay my head at Emily's shoulder and she holds my hand, softly stroking her thumb over it. It reminds me of how Marshall use to do the same and my heart hurts again.

"Are you okay, Jenna?" Emily asks as if she could feel my pain.

"Maybe I will be. One day" I answer her quietly and I give her a small smile who doesn't feel genuine.

My brother sits at the kitchen table and suddenly he looks up from his newspaper and stares out the window.

"Looks like we're having company" he says and gets up and walks to the front door just as the bell is ringing.

Chrissy looks at Emily and me and the both of us shrug at the same time. We look over and Chrissy gets up and walks over to the foyer where she hears a woman's voice talking to her husband.

"... and then I thought it was for the best for me to come over" the young woman says to my brother. "Oh you must be Chrissy, nice to meet you" she's reaching her hand out and shakes Chrissy's hand. "I'm Hailie".

I can hear her familiar voice and I stand up from the couch and run straight into her arms as she stands just inside the door. Hailie wraps her arms around me and I cry my eyes out of happiness to see her.

My brother motions us in when I've let go of her and we all sit down around the kitchen table. Chrissy still looks puzzled and my brother frowns at us in an attempt to make us talk.

"Chrissy, Ron, this is Hailie, Marshall's daughter" I introduce them as I sit close to her and hold her hand. "Oh, come here Emily and meet Hailie" I say to my niece who stands in the kitchen doorway.

As Emilie comes over Ron shakes Hailie's hand and tells her she's welcome to his house. Chrissy sits with her arms crossed over her chest and has a grumpy face on.

"So the man you've been visiting has a daughter your age?" she says to me and I can feel my cheeks go pink.

"No ma'am, I'm just 23" Hailie tells her with a bright smile.

"Oh well that's like six whole years between you then" she says sarcastic.

"Chrissy, where's your manners?" Ron asks her harshly and gloat at her.

It's the first time I ever hear Ron lecture Chrissy. She's in a chock too and Emily hides a little smile.

"Uhm, I'm sorry, Hailie, is it okay if I call you Hailie? I've been so worried for Jenna, you see" she says quietly and Hailie looks over at me.