Chapter 56

~ Jenna's POV ~

After Thanksgiving the whole city started to change its costume to the upcoming Christmas holidays. In the Marhers mansion the girls started to decorate and Marshall hired a couple of guys coming to set up the outdoor light décor around the house façade. It was really beautiful, everything shone and twinkled but in my body a lump of insecurity grew.

Once in my life I had celebrated Christmas. It was last year at my brother's house where I sat and felt uncomfortable all day because I didn't know how to act. I got some small gifts that Chrissy and Emily had bought and sadly to admit, they were my first Christmas presents I can remember. My whole life Christmas had meant more alcohol, more yelling and more beatings because my parents use to drag their friends home to celebrate. Of course it used to become a total disaster when everybody was drunk off their asses.

Now I was here, surrounded of all these pretty ornaments, lovely bells with and the largest Christmas tree I've ever seen. The feeling of not belonging tormented me but I tried not to show it to Marshall or the girls, I didn't want to spoil their good spirit.

"So Jenna" Whitney said as the three of them baked gingerbread one evening. Marshall was in the living room watching a game and I kept the girls company. "What do you think you get from dad this Christmas?"

I frowned at her and bowed my head. I didn't know I was supposed to get anything from him. I have nothing to give to him in return and I had no clue of what he'd wish for.

"I ... I don't ..." I looked up at her and met her curious eyes and saw how Hailie reacted, putting her arm around Whitney's shoulders and told her to let me be.

"But, I just asked" she says to Hailie and shrugged as she continued with the baking.

"Can I talk to you a sec, Jenna?" Hailie said and walked after her into the dining room where she closed the two glass doors so we could be alone. "What's bothering you?" she sat down and patted on the chair beside her for me to sit too.

"Haile, you have helped me so much since I got here, you don't have to do this, you know" I whispered to her as I again bowed my head in shame.

"Never mind what I have to do or not. You're my friend and I see that something's up and I wanna know what it is" she took my hand in both of hers and spoke to me softly.

"Well at first, I didn't know that he's supposed to give me something and second, I have nothing to give to him in return" I could feel the tears pricking in the back of my eyes as the lump of anxiety kept building in my stomach.

"Jenna, he's not supposed to give you anything but I know him and he's the most generous person I know so he will give you something because he wants to and because he can" she smiled at me. "He wants to spoil you as he spoils us and that means giving you things".

"But I ..." I said but she held a hand up and interrupted me.

"I understand, but I can help you with the second problem, if you want to" she offered and I sighed.

I have hardly any money and I didn't know what I could give to him, he has millions of dollars and can buy whatever he wants with in a blink of an eye. How could ever compete with that?

"Can I think about it?" I asked and she gave me one of her warm sincere smiles.

"Of course, Jenna. I really like you, you are so good for my dad" she wiped away a tear from the corner of her eye and hugged me.

"Really?" I whispered and she gave me a kiss on the cheek.

"Really" she said and nodded as we went back to the others.