Chapter 72

~ Jenna's POV ~

After a shower, another peanut and jelly sandwich and my talk to Cynthia about what I really want to do with my life, where I had let out all about how I feel for Marshall and his daughters I was ready to call Chrissy. I had borrowed a phone charger from a nurse and now I felt confident enough to call her and let her know I was back from the US and what happened. I convinced Cynthia to stay in the room in case I would chicken out and don't go through with it.

"Hello, Jenna is that you?" Chrissy screamed at me as she picked up the phone. "Hello Jenna talk!" I held the phone away from my ear and stared at it.

"Chrissy please don't yell at me" I softly said to her and I could hear her howl to my brother and to Emily that it was me calling.

"Oh my God honey, I've been so worried, we all have ... been so worried" she stuttered and I tried to talk but she interrupted me. "Where are you? Are you alright?" she sounded frantic and I guessed that she has been looking for me.

Which meant that someone told her I left. Marshall? Or Hailie? I didn't know and at the sound of it I couldn't answer her either because of her rambling on in the phone.

"Chrissy!" I tried to get her to calm down. "Chrissy, can you please listen?" but she didn't hear me.

Suddenly Cynthia grabbed the phone and roared to her to shut up and listen. I could hear the other side of the line got quiet and she gave me back my phone.

"I'm alright Chrissy. I'm at the hospital, but I'm fine. Can you come over? I really want to talk to you about this face to face". I said as calm as I could but my insides was playing pinball.

"Oh God sweetie.  When Marshall called in the middle of the night yesterday and I went to your apartment and you weren't there ... " she started sobbing and I told her to come over and we'll talk here instead. "Okay, I'm coming. Your brother too".

Marshall had called her. He had called her. Why though? My heart fluttered, but I shut the feeling down before I started to believe in something, maybe he just wanted to inform her that it was over. Oh why did I leave? I needed him. Now when I could see things clear, thanks to Cynthia I saw that I had done so many mistakes in this relationship. If I never got him back, it was all my own fault. And I must learn to live with it. and without him. My anxiety rose inside me and I took a painful breath.

"No honey, don't think. Now Chrissy is coming, it'll be alright okay" Cynthia took my hand and looked deep into my eyes. "We don't know what'll happen next, just take one day at the time".

A nervous half hour later Chrissy and Ron ran into the room and up to me as I sat in the bed. The both of them hugged me for the longest time and Chrissy patted her hands over my cheeks, arms and thighs as if she needed to feel that I was okay. She hugged Cynthia and thanked her for being there for me before she introduced her to Ron, who thanked her too.

"Oh sweetie we've been so worried" she said and held a napkin to her reddish eyes. "We didn't know ... we thought you were with Marshall ..."

To hear his name sent a knife in to my heart and I closed my eyes for a moment, trying to get the hurt to go away, but it didn't. It was here to stay.

"I was until the situation required that I left" I whispered and bowed my head.

"Oh God, Jenna. When he called me in the middle of the night yesterday I got so worried. And I went to look for you in your apartment and you weren't there ... He told me everything ... he said ..." she couldn't get the words out and Ron put an arm around her shoulder to comfort her.

I started to cry and I gasped for air. He told her everything? Then he knows ... oh God, I can't breathe, I can't ...

Cynthia came up to me and took my hand hushing me as she stroked my hair.