No Sweetheart, I'm Just Awesome

It's been a few days since we left Stanford, making our way to the state of Colorado. Trying to find John will be a hard task, and I don't understand why he'd leave a trail for us to follow him. Why not just meet somewhere so we could all work together? I was jamming to the song in the back of the car when I noticed Sam start to squirm in his seat. Son of a bitch took my spot, and I'm not happy about it, but the poor kid has been having nightmares since we left. On queue, he shot up in his spot, gasping for air.

Dean sent a quick concerned glance toward his brother, then met my eyes in the rearview mirror. We are worried about him, and this can't be healthy. I'm mean, Sam barely sleeps. However, I don't really sleep either, plagued with nightmares as well.

"Are you okay?" Dean asked Sam, looking back to the road as he drove.

Sam quickly responded, "Yeah, I'm fine," followed by a few more blinks to wake himself up from the nightmare.

"Was it a nightmare, Sam?" I asked from my spot in the back.

He cleared his throat, I'm guessing to signal he didn't want to talk about it, and then the weirdest thing happened.

"Wanna drive for a little while," Dean offered. My eyes widened in shock. Did he really say that? He never lets anyone drive his baby around, not even me, unless it's necessary.

It was obvious that Sam was shocked as well by Dean's statement. He quickly shook it off, though, by saying, "Dean, our whole life, you've never asked me that."

Dean, being Dean, then got all defensive and replied, "Look, man, I thought you might want to, never mind." I rolled my eyes at the back of the man's head. He is unbelievably childish for his age sometimes.

"Look, I know you worried, and I get it. I'm perfectly okay," Sam said, trying to convince us, but Sam, you can't bullshit someone who is in the same boat as you. We've all lost someone and felt that pain.

"Sam, don't lie," I said sternly, "You can't lie to me. I know your hurting."

The air was thick with tension as Sam picked up the map and asked where we were. I scoffed at the boy, ignoring it isn't going to help. Trust me, that's what I do.

"We are just outside of Grand Junction," Dean said, clearly not believing Sam.

Sighing, Sam said, "You know what? We shouldn't have left Stanford so soon."

"Sam, we looked around for a week and found nothing," Dean said.

I feel so bad. I mean, they both lost someone to that Demon. We all have, actually. It is a little fresher in Sam and I's memories, but still. I know Sam wants to find this asshole as much as I do. The hard part is that we know nothing, and until then, we have to keep looking for John because he obviously knows a lot about the Demon.

"Sam," I started taking a deep breath, "If you want to find the thing that killed Jessica-"

"We need to find dad. I know," Sam said, interrupting me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After noticing that John leads us to nothing but woods, we headed to Blackwater ridge to see what was happening there.

"So Blackwater ridge is very remote," Sam stated as we are checking out the building right outside the woods, "Cut off by these canyons, rough terrain, dense forest, and abandoned mines all over."

I took in the map that Sam is looking at, trying to figure out what could be out here. I mean it could be anything, a lot of creatures like to hide in forests.

"Guys, check out the size of this freakin bear," Dean said, staring at a photo of a huge bear.

Great! Not only are we hunting the supernatural, but we have to look out for massive man-eating bears too. I guess I'll add that to the list of things I hate, next to clowns and bugs.

While we were all looking at the photo of the bear, one of the workers snuck up behind us, causing me to jump, asking, "You guys aren't planning on going out to Blackwater Ridge now, are ya?" Where the hell did you come from, old man! I swear I'm more afraid of people than the creatures we hunt sometimes.

Sam quickly made up a lie to cover up what we were really doing here, but the man called us out on our crap, asking if we were friends with a girl named Hailey.

Quickly jumping on the opportunity, I replied, "Yes, sir. We are,"

"Well, let me tell you what I told her. Her brother filed out a backcountry permit, saying he wouldn't be back until the 24th. He's not exactly a missing person. Tell that girl to quit worrying, and I'm sure her brother is just fine," The old man explained.

"We will," Dean said, "You know what would help? If we could get a copy of the permit to show her her brother's return date."

"Unbelievable. I mean, how do you do it? Are people really that giving, or do you have powers I don't know about," I asked Dean as we walked out to the car. I mean, seriously, he always ends up getting what we need somehow.

"No, sweetheart. I'm just awesome," Dean replied with a smirk.

Before I could respond to his comment, Sam started to complain again, asking why we are wasting time talking to this Hailey chick.

"Um, I don't know. Maybe we should learn more information about what we're walking into before we walk into it!" Dean replied to Sam's complaints sarcastically, "Since when are you shoot first, ask questions later anyway?"

Sam stared Dean right in the eyes, "Since now," then got into the car to leave. I shared a look with Dean before we both hopped into the car ourselves. I didn't realize how reckless Sam could be.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The car ride to Hailey's house was tense, no one really saying anything, so the moment we arrived, I jumped out of the car. I hated tension, and I already feel like crap every day no need to add more negativity to it.

I was the first one to the door, and I really hope this girl is not beautiful. I don't need to watch Dean try to flirt with her like he always does with every other girl on hunts we go on. It's disgusting, actually.

I knocked on the door and let out a heavy breath when the girl opened the door. Of course, she's beautiful. Sam sent me a confused glance while I just rolled my eyes. We ended up convincing the girl that we were park rangers and wanted to talk about her brother Tommy.

As we were entering her house, Hailey asked Dean about his car, and he looked back at us, whispering, "Oh my God!"

I rolled my eyes at his behavior, but I mean, what else did I expect from him. Anyways we interrogated her family about how she knew her brother was missing, and she showed us a video. As I watched the video, I swear I saw something flicker in the background, outside the tent. I looked up to the boys, but they didn't seem to notice it.

Sam kept staring at the computer screen, and I may have been wrong. Maybe he did notice it. I nudged him and gave him a look. He nodded, signaling he saw it too. With some more flirting between Dean and Hailey, Sam finally asked if she could forward the stuff to him to look at some more. With that, we left and made our way to a bar, my favorite place.

A/N

Sorry for lying to you guys! I ended up sleeping the entire ride up to Minnesota, so I didn't have a chance to update. We have officially made it to Episode 2!!!!! I really like this episode, and it's one of my favorites! I think I'm double updating today, so stay tuned.....

1/30/2021- Edited

3/2/2022- THIS CHAPTER REACHED 1,000 READS TOO! THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE LOVE AND SUPPORT <3