Hook Man

After Sam was done flirting with Lori, we all headed to the local library.

"So, you believe her," Dean asked Sam.

"I do," Sam defended Lori.

I smirked at Dean, and looked behind us, "I think she's hot, too, Sammy."

Dean and I chuckled, and Sam let out an annoyed huff, "No guys, there was something in her eyes." I tensed at the mention of eyes, and Dean immediately squeezed my hand, causing me to relax slightly. "Now listen to this. She heard scratching on the roof, and found the bloody body suspended upside down outside over the car," Sam continued to explain. I couldn't help the shiver that made its way down my spine.

Dean turned quickly, causing me to wince slightly at the pull of my arm, as he said, "Hold up, body suspended. That sounds a lot like the.."

"The Hook Man, I know," Sam interrupted him.

My eyebrow scrunched in confusion as I looked at the boys, "Wait, that's one of the most common legends ever. You guys don't think we are dealing with THE Hook Man, do you?"

"What about all the other stuff, the phantom scratches, blown tires, all of that," Dean asked.

"Maybe it's not the Hook Man, just an evil spirit," Sam suggested.

"Okay, well let's get to the fun part," I muttered sarcastically, while Sam went to go ask someone who worked here for some help.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"Okay, here are arrest records dating back to 1851," the lady who helped us said, with a little suspicion in her voice. I thanked her, and sent a tight lipped smile her way. She nodded before leaving the table we were sitting at. Dean's gaze followed her as she walked away, rolling his eyes at her. Well at least he's not looking at her ass.

"I'm proud of you," Sam directed his comment towards Dean.

Confusion crossed his face as he shot back, "What?'

Sam smirked while looking at me, "You didn't look at her boobs or ass. I'm proud of you."

I couldn't help the laugh that slipped through when I saw Dean's face. He was blushing slightly looking at the ground. I grabbed his hand, squeezing it, causing him to look my way.

"It's definitely progress," I teased through my smile.

"Shut up," Dean muttered. I couldn't help as my smile grew bigger. I leaned in and placed a soft kiss on his lips.

Sam fake gagged and said, "Alright, let's get to reading."

Three hours. It's been three freaking hours, and I got nothing. I got uncomfy about an hour ago, and repositioned myself so I could rest my head on Dean's lap. I was using another chair to support my lower body. Sam got tired of sitting too, and was now standing, using a bookshelf to read the files he took.

"Hey, check this out," he yelled over to us, "In 1862, a preacher named James Carm was arrested for murder. Looks like he was so angry over the red light district in town that one night he killed 13 prostitutes. Some were found in their beds, sheets soaked with blood. Others suspended upside down."

Another shiver ran down my spine as I sat up in my chair, allowing Dean to get up and go over to Sam, "That sounds familiar."

"Ah, look at this. It says the preacher lost his hand in an accident, and replaced it with a silver hook," Dean said holding up a paper.

I got up and joined them, noticing something on one of the papers, "look where all this happened."

"Nine Mile Road," Sam said with realization.

"Alright, let's go investigate this road, shall we gents," I said with a smile on my face.

"Ah, ah, ah. Not so fast there little lady. You know the rules," Dean started causing my smile to disappear and for me to roll my eyes. "Don't roll your eyes at me. The doctor said no strenuous activity. What if while we are there tonight mister hook man shows up, and tries something, and we have to run or fight back. Neither things you can do right now. Huh?"

I crossed my arms, and let out a huff of annoyance, "Well what am I supposed to do?"

"We can drop you off at a motel, and Dean and I will check it out. Dean is right you need to take it easy, and get back to a hundred percent before going back out there," Sam offered.

I immediately tensed and my eyes widened at the thought of being alone in a motel room again. I haven't been by myself once since the incident, and I didn't want to be, let alone in a motel room.

I quickly shook my head at the idea, "No, no, no, I don't want- I can't be..."

"Hey, hey, hey. Remember, he can't get to you anymore. The shapeshifter is dead, he can't hurt you," Dean tried to sooth me, putting a hand on my right shoulder, avoiding the left one.

I hesitated before nodding, "Okay, okay. You're right. I'm sorry."

Sam sent a small smile, "No need to apologize, lets go."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean went into the reception area of the motel to get room keys for us, while Sam and I waited in the car. I couldn't stop my knee from shaking, and biting my nails, an old habit that seems to be making its way back into my life.

"Hey, you okay," Sam asked from the front, causing me to jump slightly in my seat.

I looked up at him, he turned his body so he could see me, "yeah, yeah. I'm fine."

He looked at me strange before saying, "Earlier, when Lori touched your shoulder you freaked out a bit, so don't tell me you're okay. I mean you've been spacing out a lot lately too, don't think that Dean and I haven't noticed."

My eyes widened a bit, not sure what to do, "I- uh- I..."

"It's okay, to not be okay, Devyn. You went through something traumatic, and I can tell it's been taking a toll on you," Sam interrupted my stuttering.

"I know it's okay to not be okay. I just, it's easier to pretend it didn't happen, and brush it off," I said, "I can't talk about it, without reliving it."

Sam looked at me softly, "But if you don't talk about it eventually it's gonna tear you apart."

I shot him a look, putting my defensive walls up, "Like you did with Jessica. You saw her die right before your eyes, torn apart, and you never once talked about it. What gives you the right to give me any advice," I gave him a cold look.Sam seemed taken back by my words, hurt even, but I shoved the guilt down and looked away from him.

Dean entered the car moments later, "Okay, we got room 19." Sensing the tension in the car he looked between me and Sam with furrowed eyebrows, "Did i miss something?"

"Nope," Sam and I responded quickly, still avoiding eye contact.

"Okay...," Dean drew out, "Well let's go drop Devyn at the room, and check out this janky ass road."

I hesitated before entering the motel room, the boys had gone in before me. I couldn't help the immediate shill that went through me, thinking about how I'm gonna be all by myself in this room until my boys come back. Sam was avoiding me, the guilt of what I had said to him in the car overtaking me. The feelings of nervousness, fright, and guilt overwhelming me, causing me to get dizzy. I swayed slightly, sitting in the chair quickly, so I didn't fall over.

Dean noticed instantly and ran over to me, "Devyn? You, okay?"

My eyes were closed, but I nodded, "Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just tired, don't worry about me. Go check out that 'janky ass road' as you so politely worded it." I finished with a smile, opening my eyes.

This earned me a small laugh from Dean, and a scoff from Sam on the other side of the room. "That's my girl," Dean replied, then gently kissed me on the lips, "We will be back soon, promise."

"Better be," I replied, smiling.

As soon as the boys had left the room though, my smile faded, as the realization hit me. I am all alone.