We Don't Do Shorts

I didn't get much sleep last night, and it didn't help thinking about the possibility of not getting much tonight either. We were driving back to Blackwater Ridge, and Sam kept glancing at me the entire time there. I don't think he knew how much I was hurting, but if he glanced at me one more time, he's gonna be the one hurting. As we were pulling in, I saw Hailey and her brother, and I couldn't help but scoff at Dean while he was eyeing the poor girl up and down.

"Dean, focus," I said, annoyed already.

"Relax, Devyn, you'll find someone someday," Dean said smugly. I rolled my eyes at the boy as we exited the car.

"You guys have room for three more?" Dean asked Hailey as we approached her group.

"Your hiking out in biker boots and jeans," Hailey said sarcastically.

I walked past the girl and replied, "We don't do shorts, sweetheart," smiling smugly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------We've been hiking for a while, and the guy that Hailey and her brother hired to help find their brother was an ass. We kept saying we were in over our heads and had no idea what we were doing. I had to bite my tongue so I wouldn't reveal what was really out here, what the real danger was. He was an idiot and will probably end up dead if he doesn't shut up.

Dean being the smart ass he was, kept poking at the man, causing him to keep degrading us. At some point, we were walking, and Roy grabbed Dean right as he was about to step on a bear trap, trying to prove something to us.

Hailey made an excellent observation about us not carrying anything but a duffel bag with us, so she pushed Dean to tell the truth.

"Look, Sam and I are brothers, and Devyn here is our best friend. Our father is missing, and we thought he was out here," Dean explained.

"Why didn't you just tell me?" Hailey asked.

"I don't matter, and besides, this is the most honest I've ever been with a woman, ever," Dean said.

Not really wanting to hear any more of this conversation, I scoffed and made my way closer to Sam, and it stayed like that until we made it to our destination.

"Hey, um, guys, do you hear that?" I asked the brothers in private.

"Yeah, nothing," Sam said, "Not even crickets."

Being the genius he is, Roy announced that he would take a look around to see if he can find anything, which is stupid we should stay together.

"You shouldn't go alone," Sam pointed out to Roy.

"That's sweet," Roy responded sarcastically, "Don't need to worry about me," he finished walking away.

Not wanting anyone to be alone, we all followed Roy deeper into the woods for any clues we could find, so we can find this kid and get out of here. This place is giving me the chills. Something is out there, and I don't want to be its next meal.

After a few more minutes of walking around, we stumbled upon a torn apart campsite that had blood everywhere. Whatever this thing was, it didn't play nice. Hailey points out some of her brother's items in the wreckage.

"Tommy? Tommy. Tommy!" Hailey started to scream out for her brother.

I ran up to her, putting my hand over her mouth, "Quiet! We don't know if it's still out there or if it can hear us, so shut it."

"Sam, Devyn come here," I heard Dean call. When we reached him, he explained that the bodies were dragged from the campsite. Great. "You can see here that the tracks just vanish."

"This doesn't seem like it would be a skinwalker or black dog," I said.

"That's because it's not," Dean said, starting to walk away, back to camp.

When we got back to the others, a voice was screaming for help. Before anything could be done, Roy was running off. I quickly grabbed my gun from my jacket getting it ready and ran off after the man. I was followed by everyone else. We stopped in a clearing the calls for help had stopped. Something wasn't right, and this was a diversion.

"Everyone gets back to camp," Sam said, and with that, we were running back, and by the time we reached it, all of our stuff was missing.

Damn it! This thing is smart, and the way it mimicked that kid's voice. It has to be a Wendigo. Nothing else I know of can do these things.

"This thing is smart. It's taken away our way of calling for help," I said to everyone.

"So some wackjob stole all of our stuff, great," Roy said.

Sam walked over to Dean and me, "I need to talk to you two in private."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Once the three of us agreed that the creature at hand was in fact a wendigo, we went back to camp to try and take the group back so that they won't be eaten.

"Kid, don't worry. There isn't anything out there that I can't handle," Roy said reassuringly. Wow, I think that's the first thing he had said to us without a sarcastic tone in his voice.

"That's not what I'm worried about. If you shoot this thing, you're just going to make it mad. We have to leave now," I urged the group, but they weren't getting it, how much danger we were in right now.

Roy being the stubborn ass he got in Sam's face about leaving and explained how he's been hunting in these woods since we were in diapers. That doesn't matter, though, and we need to leave now.

"Listen, Jackass," I said, Roy, turning to me, " This thing is a perfect hunter, it's smarter than you, and it's gonna hunt you down and eat you alive. Unless we get out of here now!"

Roy seemed shocked at my outburst, and Sam and Dean looked proud. I didn't want to die today, and this guy is getting on my nerves. If he doesn't listen to us, we will all die. Roy walked closer to me, laughing in my face once the shock was gone, "You know your crazy, right?"

I took a step closer to the man, not phased by him in the slightest, "Oh yeah! You ever hunt a Wind-"My sentence was cut off by Dean grabbing me, pulling me away from Roy, and telling me to chill out. "Chill out! We are going to die because of this dickwad," I said in protest.

"Stop!" Hailey yelled, separating everyone, "Everybody, just stop. Look, Tommy might still be alive, and I'm not leaving here without him."

Dean looked at me and said, "It's getting late. This thing is a good hunter during the day but an unbelievable hunter at night. We'll never beat it in the dark. We need to settle in and protect ourselves."

Dean finally let go of me and walked away to figure out how to protect us. I glared at Roy for a few seconds and then followed Dean to help.

1/30/2021- Edited