Emotional Wreck

It had been a few weeks since our last hunt, and to be honest, I think we all needed the break. I think Dean really needed it because he's been sleeping in every day, Sam and I always have to wake him up. I mean, I just took a thirty-minute shower, and he is still sleeping. Sam better hurry up with that coffee I asked for. As I was putting my dirty clothes back into my bag, I couldn't help but notice that Dean's blanket was off him and that he was only in his under ware...

I didn't realize I was full-on staring at him until the door to our motel room opened, and Sam walked in. The noise must have woken Dean up because he was looking over his shoulder to see who it was.

"Morning Sunshine," Sam said sarcastically, "Here is your coffee, Devyn."

"Oh, thank the heavens. I needed this," I said happily, taking the extra-large coffee from his hand.

Dean gave me a weird look and said, "You have a problem."

I glared at the oldest brother, sticking my tongue out at him, "Suck it, Dean."

"Gladly," Dean said seductively, sending one of his signatures smirks my way, causing my face to heat up.

I quickly cleared my throat, changing the topic, "So, Sammy, did you get any sleep last night?'

"Yeah, I slept fine," Sam stated.

"Liar, because I got up at three this morning to use the bathroom, and you were watching tv," Dean said.

I looked over to Sam, sympathy in my eyes, "Are you still having nightmares about Jess?"

Sam's cheery mood diminished as he made his way over, sitting on the bed across from Dean, me still at the edge of the bed by my bag. "Yeah, but it's not just that. It's everything. I just forgot, man, this job. It gets to you." Dean took a sip of his coffee, and I sat next to Sam, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"You can't let it. You can't bring it home like that," Dean said.

I rolled my eyes at the man across from me, who is still in just his underwear. Jeez, Devyn, get a hold of yourself! "Yeah, right like you've never had a nightmare before or been afraid before, Dean," I said pointedly.

Dean and I shared a look, and Sam grabbed the knife Dean keeps under his pillow at night, "Then why this?" Sam asked.

"That's not fear; that's a precaution. There is a difference," Dean explained to us.

"Alright, whatever, man," Sam said.

Dean's phone started to ring, and he answered, confused by who the caller was until he recognized it as someone he helped a few years ago. Apparently, this person wants to meet us in person about something important. Wonder what it could be this time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When we reached our destination, a man was waiting for us outside.

"Thanks for making it here so fast, Dean and your Dad helped me out with a situation about a year ago, " the man explained to Sam as he walked us through the building. "Your dad said you were off to college, am I right?"

"Yeah, I was. I'm taking some time off," Sam said to the man.

"Well, he was really proud of you, I could tell. He talked about you all the time. He said some fantastic things about you and your family too, Devyn. How are they doing?" the man asked sincerely. I couldn't help it as the sadness crept back up. I know this man didn't know about their deaths, but it stung every time someone naive about the situation asked how they were doing. My entire mood shifted from one of curiosity to complete and utter sadness. I don't know if the boys could sense it or if it was the way I slowed down a little bit, but they quickly changed the subject, thankfully.

"Um, He really talked about me like that?" Sam asked. I silently thanked him by sending him a small smile.

 "Yeah, all the time. I actually tried to get in touch with him at first, but he didn't answer. How's he doing?" the man asked more questions. How well did Dean know this man? He sure seemed to know a lot.

"Hmm, he's just wrapped up in a job right now," Dean lied.

"Well, we're missing the old man, but we get Sam and Devyn. Even trade," He said, cracking a joke. "Come into my office, and I got something I want you to listen to."

To be honest, I wasn't really paying much attention to what the man was making us listen to on the tape, and I was too busy in my own thoughts. Why did he have to bring up my parents? Why would John even talk about us to a client? It hurts when someone oblivious to my situation asks how my parents are doing. I know they died months ago, but it's like it happened yesterday. I mean, I haven't fully healed from their death. How can I when the thing that killed them is still out there? I wish I could escape this feeling of guilt and sadness. It's always here looming over me, always reminding me how unhappy I am.

I didn't even realize my breathing became more rapid until Dean put his hand on mine and asked if I was okay. I quickly looked up into his eyes, tears making their way up, "Yeah, yeah. Um, I need some fresh air," I said before jumping out of my seat and practically sprinting back to the Impala.

Damn it! Why does this always happen? I wish I could go one day with having control over my emotions. Once I reached the car, I leaned my arms on top of the car, folding my hands together. I took a step back and hung my head down, taking deep breaths, trying to get a hold of myself. I really didn't want to cry right now, especially when we learn information on what is happening here. Information I clearly wasn't paying attention to because I was too busy thinking about...

"Hey, Devyn, are you-" Dean snuck up behind me. My own mind so consumed me that he startled me, causing me to whip out my blade, spinning Dean around, slamming him into the car while holding the blade to his neck. "Hey, hey! Wow! Devyn, it's me. It's me, Dean," Dean said, holding his hands up, showing he wasn't going to attack.

My tear-filled eyes met his green eyes, and I broke. I started to cry as I slowly let him go from my firm grip, unable to hold my emotions in any longer. Dean grabbed me, hugging me closely as he whispered in my ear," Hey, shhh. It's okay, and no one else is leaving you. You're okay. I got you."

1/30/2021- Edited