Pagan Gods

I held my nose between my fingers in irritation, "What the hell are we supposed to do now!"

Dean huffed in annoyance next to me, gripping the steering wheel tightly, "We are going back. Did you see what was happening? Everyone in that town knows what's going on, and they were buttering up that couple."

"I know, and they didn't like that we were getting in the way of whatever they've been doing. We need to go back and save that couple, Dean," I said matter of factly.

Dean pulled the car over to the side of the road and slammed his hands down on the wheel, "Damn it!"

I jumped in my seat next to, startled at his outburst, "Dean!"

"I don't understand how I did this so long without him before," Dean said sadly.

I looked at him in confusion, "What? Dean what are y-"

"Sam, Devyn! He's only been with us for half a year, and I feel like I can't hunt properly without him here. How did I do it before for three years," Dean yelled, frustrated.

I jumped again and shot back, "Maybe you shouldn't have let him walk away like that, then we wouldn't be having this problem right now."

Dean looked to me as I crossed my arms, "I can't stand you being mad at me again," Dean said sadly.

He looked down at his lap, and my glare softened a bit, "Dean..." I said, grabbing his hand, "You need to call him."

"It's getting dark, we need to go back before it's too late," Dean said, pulling his hand away from me, and turning the car around.

I sighed sadly and deflated into my seat. The ride back to the orchard was short, but seemed to take forever. The silence that settled between Dean and I was deafening, and my anxiety was building the closer we got. I didn't know if it was my gift, or my general anxiety but I didn't have a good feeling about what was about to happen.

My knee was bouncing and as soon as we arrived we heard someone screaming. I quickly shot out of the car grabbing my hand gun and knife. Dean grabbed his shotgun.We ran into the tree's and there was a heavy fog surrounding us making it hard to see anything around us. We ran into the couple, who were running to us, and the scarecrow was close behind them, running to attack.

"Get back to your car," Dean yelled as I shot at the thing running at us.

It was barely phased by the bullet, "Oh, my God, Dean!"

"Run!," Dean yelled, grabbing my arm as the scarecrow advanced.

Dean unloaded a few more rounds from his shotgun at it. We made it back to the car and turned quickly raising our guns in defense. We looked into the fog, and saw nothing.

"What the hell was that," the guy yelled.

"Don't ask," I said slightly out of breath.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean and I escorted the couple out of town safely, and we slept in the car overnight. Even though we were both irritated with each other we cuddled close to each other in the back seat as we slept. I woke up as the sun started to rise, and I stretched making Dean squirm.

He slowly woke up and opened his eyes stretching to, "Remind me to not sleep in this car again. I am so sore."

I giggled softly, "I'm okay."

Dean playfully glared and said, "Of course you are." I hesitated to say what I wanted to next, and Dean noticed. "What," he asked.

"I think you need to call Sam," I said slowly.

Dean closed his eyes and laid back down, "I know," he grumbled.

Dean and I made our way to the front seats of the car, and drove to the closest rest stop to freshen up.

"Okay, now that there is nothing more we can do to stall the inevitable...." I said, trailing off at the end as we walked back tothe car.

Dean sat in the seat and looked at his phone for a few seconds before hitting Sam's number. Dean looked anxious, and I grabbed his hand to help alleviate some of the stress. Sam picked up the phone on the second ring. Dean tensed a little bit as he greeted his brother. They talked for a few minutes as Dean explained to him what has been happening.

"A Pagan God, actually," Dean explained what we had figured out last night. After a few more moments Dean said, "Yeah, Devyn and I are heading to a local college to dig up some stuff. Unfortunately I don't have my nerdy sidekick with me."

Dean started to twist a little uncomfortably, "Sam... you know I-" He coughed clearing his throat and started talking again, "Sam, you were right. You need to do your own thing. You gotta live your own life. You've always known what you want, and you go after it. You stand up to dad, and you always have. Hell I wish I- anyway I admire that about you. Bye Sammy."

Dean quickly hung up the phone, and a single tear fell down his face. I gripped his hand and rubbed his shoulder comfortingly.

"You did good," I said softly, wiping the tear away.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It's not everyday I get a research question about pagan mythology," The professor we were with stated.

"Yeah, well call it a hobby," Dean said with a smile.

"You said you were interested in local lore," He questioned us. Dean and I nodded, "I'm afraid in Indiana there isn't much Pagan activity."

"It's important. Like the pilgrims brought their religion over. Wasn't this area discovered by a lot of immigrants," I asked him. He nodded and I asked again, "Like that town a little while away, Burketsville?"

"Ah, their ancestors are from Nothern Europe, Scandanavia," The professor explained.

"Well what can you tell us about those pagan gods," Dean questioned.

The professor laughed and said, "Well there are hundreds of Norse gods and goddesses."

"Well we are particularly interested in one. He or she may reside in an orchard," I explained.

The professor guided us back to his office after grabbing a very large book on god mythology. He started to flip though the giant book until he landed on the page he was looking for.

"The Vanir were Norse Gods of protection and prosperity. Keeping the local settlements safe from harm," I read from the book.

"Look at this, some practiced human sacrifice. One male, and one female," Dean pointed out.

"It also says something about a sacred tree?" I asked the professor.

"Well pagans believed that all sorts of things were infused with magic," he explained to us.

"So what would happen if the sacred tree was torched? Would it kill the god," I asked curiously.

The professor laughed and responded, "these are just legends."

I smiled kindly at him and said,"Of course. Thank you so much for your help."

Dean and I shook his hand and said our goodbyes. As we opened the door Dean was knocked out by the butt of a gun.

"What the hell," I exclaimed at the man who hit Dean, who just so happened to be the Sheriff from our favorite little town.

The professor grabbed my arms quickly, and I struggled to get out of his grasp. "I'm sorry," He whispered into my ear as he injected a needle into my neck. I yelped in pain from the initial contact of the needle, and I started to panic. They were gonna use us as the couple to sacrifice.

I continued to struggle, but my movements slowed as whatever drug they used on me started to take effect. The world around me started to move slowly around me and I collapsed into the professors arms. The last thing I saw before blacking out was the officer dragging Dean's body out of the room.