Eaten

~I do not own DC/MK~
**********************

Something white caught a certain sleuth's eyes. His head twisted and turned, his blue eyes scanning the place, trying to spot it. When he couldn't find it, he just shrugged and turned his attention back to his book.
Then his eyes saw it again, but this time in full view. It landed on his book, covering up the words that his mind was so focused on.
Shinichi stared at it for a bit. It wasn't too small, around the size of his palm, but it still  looked fragile. White, and covered in fur?
Its wings fluttered slightly, it didn't seem like it was scared, it didn't seem to care about the fact that it could be crushed if Shinichi decided not to be nice and close his book on it.
After debating about it with himself for a while, very slowly and gently, Shinichi scooped the fragile creature up with both hands. It didn't seem to be bothered at all.

'Is it injured?'

The wings seemed fine, and it took strong, steady steps on his hand. Nope, it wasn't injured.
Shinichi's lips curved into a small smile as he stood up and started walking back home. He'll keep it for as long as it allows him to.
.
.
.
Once Shinichi got to his oversized house, he immediately ran to his huge library and set the creature on his desk, next to a bunch of case files.
The detective ran around the library, eyes scanning the shelves for a certain book, then he found it. An animal dictionary.
His hand flipped through the pages, eyes racing between the little creature that sat on his desk and the pages of his book until he finally stopped at a certain page.

Moths

Moths are insects of the order Lepidoptera. They are closely related to butterflies, which evolved from them. Most species of moths are active only at night.

Shinichi blinked, they were in the afternoon. Is that why the moth didn't fly away? Because it wasn't nighttime?
No, that didn't make sense. Sapphire blue eyes wandered over to the little white moth as Shinichi closed the book and set it aside. The little creature seemed to be sleeping.
A small smile appeared on his lips as he very gently ran his index finger along the side of the moth's right wing. He was feeling himself slowly get attached to the little creature. He knew he sorta liked animals, but it was a little weird to him how he got attached to a moth and didn't get attached to Kid's dove when he took care of it.
Shinichi found himself reaching into his pocket and getting his phone out before dialing his boyfriend's number.
After three rings, the call was picked up.

"Shin-chan?"

Shinichi smiled, he just woke Kaito up. His cheeks heated up a bit, the magician always looked adorable when he woke up.
The detective decided to get straight to the point, not wanting to unnecessarily keep the other awake for long.

"I found a moth."

The was silence, then what sounded like Kaito falling off the bed.

"I-is it white?"

Shinichi blinked and looked at the little moth. It was indeed white. How did Kaito know? Unless...

"Yes. Is it yours or something?"

The detective's brow rose when all he could here for a while was heavy breathing, then finally Kaito's voice.

"Probably..."

Shinichi nodded, even though the other couldn't see him. Kaito's voice again. The magician sounded relieved.

"I'm coming now. I'll explain everything."

The detective couldn't hide his smile, his lovely boyfriend was coming all the way from Ekoda to visit him. Maybe it was just because of a little moth, but after they talked about it, he'll take Kaito out on a date.

"I'll be waiting."
.
.
.
The door to the library was pushed open and a messy haired teen could be seen running towards his doubleganger.
Shinichi blushed when, instead of asking about the moth, Kaito just hugged him, tightly.

"I missed you..."

The detective snorted, but still couldn't help but wrap his arms around the magician and pull him onto his lap.

"It's only been two days, idiot."

They sat there for a while, enjoying each other's warmth. Kaito's body was a little cold, it was a chilly day and he just came from outside. Shinichi made sure to warm his magician up. He didn't was Kaito to get sick for the second time this month.
Kaito giggled, Shinichi's breath tickled his neck.

"You smell like chocolate."

Kaito giggled again, tugging on the hoodie Shinichi wore. It was his hoodie.

"You smell like chocolate too~"

Then Shinichi paused, making Kaito tilt his head in confusion. His detective had that look he always had when he was deep in thought, so he decided to stay quiet, not wanting to disturb.
Shinichi frowned, he smelled like Kaito... The moth probably belonged to Kaito... Was that why...?
The detective reached with both hands and picked up the little moth before bringing it close for Kaito to see. The magician's indigo eyes lit up.

"Coco-chan!"

Shinichi's eyes widened slightly when the moth actually flew and landed in the magician's palm.
Kaito turned to Shinichi placed a small kiss on his cheek, making the detective blush.

"Thank you Shin-chan~"

At the confused look Shinichi gave him, Kaito decided to explain.

"Moon-chan almost ate Coco-chan, so she flew away."

Shinichi nodded. Moon-chan was one of Kaito's doves, one of the really mischievous, troublesome ones.
So the moth got attached to him because smelled like Kaito, huh...
The detective thought for a bit, he really wanted to take Kaito out on a date, but it was always hard to ask the magician. Shinichi galnced at Kaito, and was surprised when he saw the magician looking all sad.

"What's wrong?"

Kaito gave him a small, sad smile.

"I have to let it go, otherwise, it might get eaten..."

Shinichi nodded in understanding and pulled the other back to his embrace.

"You'll get over it soon, Kai-chan."

Kaito snuggled closer to his detective. He really loved Shinichi.
The magician felt himself being picked up. Shinichi stood up and carried his magician to the window and opened it. The detective was sad too, he himself got attached to the moth.
Kaito wispered a small good bye to his moth, before bring it closer to the open window. The moth didn't really hesistate, it flew out to where it belongs.
Shinichi and Kaito sadly watched their little moth fly away... Only to watch it get snatched and eaten by a bird.
Silence. Uncomfortable silence.
Shinichi looked down at Kaito, the magician had a traumatized look on his face.
The detective closed the window and turned around, giving it his back, not wanting Kaito to stare there for longer.
It probably wasn't the right time to ask, but...

"Kai?"

Kaito blinked before answering.

"Yes?"

"Wanna go out on a date?"

"Sure."

Shinichi blinked. That was easier than he thought it'd be, but then again, it always was.
He was glad the other agreed, it would be a good way to take his mind off what happened.

*************************
BASED ON A TRUE STORY
...
Except for the date part...
It was a pink, peachy color, named her peach XP
I still mess her...