1950's Pt. 2

You yawned as you laid your back against the tree you were resting under. Robbie took a drag from his cigarette before offering it to you. You took it and took a drag of your own. You took off your helmet and picked up a nearby rock. You scratched another line against the green.

Robbie: How long has it been?

You looked at the marks on the inside of your helmet.

Y/N: 4 months.

You put it back on and looked around. The jungle wasn't as tropical as you thoight. 4 months had passed since you and Robbie joined the war. 4 months of looking for Eli. 4 months away from the others. And what had you accomplished in those 4 months?

Radio: Devils. We need back up. We're under fire.

You and Robbie both sighed as you stood up. You both looked forward towards the gunfire.

Y/N: Let's go, Ghost Rider.

Robbie: Copy that, Monster.

You both rushed to your men before pulling out your rifles. 4 months had passed, but you were still playing the Hero. You and Robbie had made a name for yourselves after your squad was completely wiped out about two months ago. You and Robbie massacred every last enemy soldier there. When the next squad showed up, they found you and Robbie in the middle of the filed, smoking a cigarette, surrounded by mutilated bodies.

After that, the two of you were given the name of the Devil Brothers. How did you get away with it all? You happened to know a guy.

You leaped through the trees and opened fire at the attacking forces. Robbie allowed the flames of hell to consume him as he fired firey rounds at the enemy soldiers. You threw the empty gun to the ground and covered your arms in fire before rushing towards whoever remained. Once you were done with your undying rage, you turned to the men you had just saved.

Johnathan: Holy hell. I never thought I would be saved by a bunch of mutants.

Robbie returned to normal.

Robbie: Think nothing of it. We're all stuck on this island together.

Nicolas: I'll drink to that kid.

You helped them up. You turned to where another man walked through the jungle.

Logan: Looks like I missed the fun.
-------
You all reached the base before the injured men were taken to the emergency tent. You and Robbie walked with Logan to his tent where you found a map of the area.

Logan: That's the 12th ambush this week. And it's only Wednesday.

You laughed.

Y/N: Damn commies are pretty crafty. Amazing that no one ever thought that fighting someone in their home turf was a bad idea. Oh wait.

Logan: Watch that tounge kid. A lot of people hate us as it is.

You just rolled your eyes as you tossed your helmet onto the table. You and Robbie had met Logan, past Logan, around the same time you joined. It was a trip seeing him but you and Robbie were quick to try and befriend him. You revealed your powers to him but kept the time traveling tbing a secret.

Robbie: Have you gotten any word on our friend?

Logan shook his head. He had been helping you track down Eli but it wasn't easy. Too many troops marching around. You let out a sigh. Logan has been a great help and you were now Staff Sargent but this was getting you no where. To make matters worse, you and Robbie have learned that there wasn't a big bad here to fight. The war was enough for for Kang.

Logan: You kids should get some rest. You've been at it for a few days now.

Y/N: I'm fine.

Robbie: I got my cigarettes.

You looked down outside the open tent and saw a soldier reading a magazine. You looked closer and saw it was Times. You thought back to Felicia and how she was a model in 1922. What were they up to now? Robbie suddenly sniffed the air.

Robbie: Actually, we should hit the showers. We smell like death.

Logan: That's my kind of scent.

Robbie rolled his eyes and left the tent. You looked at Logan.

Y/N: Thank you for all the help you've given. We appreciate it.

Logan: Don't mention it. To anyone. I mean it.

You smiled and slapped his back. You turned away and walked out of the tent. You wondered around the camp and yawned. You headed to the tent you shared with Robbie and tossed your jacket off. You streached in your white tank top causing the dog tags around your neck to hit against your mother's ring. You looked back at the tent's entrance and sighed.

Y/N: 4 months. We'll be back soon.
--------
Robbie: Get down!

You ducked into the foxhole as the machine gun opened fire. You watched a few of your men fall from the attack. You checked your gun but found it out of ammo. You tossed it and ignited your arms. Robbie followed suit and the two of you leaped out of the cover.

Solider: Go give them hell!

The other soldiers started to cheer as you and Robbie rushed towards the enemy. You slammed your fist into the first man you came across while Robbie pulled out his chain. He threw it at a enemy and cut him in half before grsbbing another. You let out a cry before snapping a man's neck in a fit of rage.

You both continued this massacre as your fellow soldiers cheered you on. You finally grabbed the last man and slammed him against a tree. You popped out your claws and were about to stab them into the person under your grasp but stopped when you saw who it was. It was just a boy. One who looked younger than you.

You choked. You couldn't kill him. You quickly popped your claws back in and your flames vanished. You let go of him and stepped back in horror. The boy took this chance you lift you his gun and shoot you three times. His body suddenly dropped to the floor, blood spilling from his head.

You looked over to the others and saw one of the men holding a gun. He shot him. He was so young. Why? Why did he do it? Everyone started to congratulate you and Robbie but you didn't hear them. Robbie looked up at you and saw the look of dread in your eyes.

You slowly took off your helmet and popped out one claw. You carved a new line on it.

Two years and 3 months.
----------
You took a long drag from the cigarette as the crickets chirped around you. It was late. Really late. You were too restless to sleep. You looked down at the dog tags in your hands. Your finger traced along your name before you threw them back on. The chain scratched against the stubs on your chin.

Robbie: Can't sleep?

You looked up at him and shook your head.

Robbie: Me neither.

He sat next to you. For anyone looking in, it was two teens trapped in a unwinnable war. For anyone who knew them, it was two scared teens with a unwinnable mission. One with a 100 yard stare, the other with a broken heart. Both of you missed your loved ones.

Robbie: How long has it been?

You looked down at your helmet and shook your head.

Y/N: Does it even matter?

Logan: It does.

You both looked up at him. He stood there with his arms crossed.

Logan: You both have people waiting on you right?

You both nodded.

Logan: Then it matters. It'll always matter.

The three of you looked up into the night sky. You saw the stars that the Old Man would always tell you stories about. You closed your eyes and took a deep breath. This was the same sky everyone saw. The one thing that connected each and every one of you.

The stars offered hope.