Road to Freedom

You woke up as the sun rose to the sky. You looked around and saw that Cindy was taking care of Laura who looked utterly defeated. Lockheed was still asleep on your lap peacefully. You picked up the amulet before tucking it into your shirt. You picked Lockheed up and placed him on the small patch of grass next to you so you could stand up. You looked down at your uniform and saw that it was little more than a torn cloth. You took it off and tossed it aside leaving you in a black shirt and your jeans.

You looked over to Cindy and saw that she looked tired. You couldn't blame her. You walked out from.under the bridge and covered your eyes from the blinding light. The events if yesterday played through your mind. It was just the three of you now. Riri was locked away in the Emperor's "castle". You just hoped that she wasn't being tortured too much or at all.

You sighed and walked back to Cindy.

Y/N: Morning.

Cindy looked at you and nodded in acknowledgment. You kneeled next to her and looked at Laura. Her wounds looked a bit better but they still weren't healing. The Godslayer metal must have prevented her from doing so.

Y/N: How is she holding up?

Cindy: She's alive. I don't know how long it'll be until she recovers.

Y/N: There's not a doctor that can help us?

Cindy shook her head.

Cindy: No one will be willing to help us. The Emperor made a point and everyone got it. We're on our own.

The odds really were stacked against you all. You sighed in defeat. Riri was the leader, not you. She had all these plans and you knew nothing. Laura is injured and unable to fight and Cindy is mentally unstable and emotionally broken. How the hell were you going to do this?

You didn't have your team, your friends, nothing. All you had was your powers and this amulet. You know that you have the Evolution Power but that would be useless if the future you is as strong as he is. He'll end up killing you before you can even grow. Then, it hit you.

Y/N: He can't kill me.

Cindy looked at you.

Y/N: He can't kill me because if he does, he won't exist.

Cindy: He already made sure to prevent that.

You looked at her.

Y/N: What do you mean?

Cindy: He has the Reality Stone. He used it to make sure that things like that weren't possible. We already thought about it. It's why we didn't kill you when we first saw you.

So, he can still kill you. There really was no way to stop him. You shook your head. Suddenly, you had an idea.

Y/N: He needs the stone.

Cindy nodded.

Cindy: The Time Stone was shattered when he used it.

You rasied a brow.

Y/N: I used the Time Stone and it broke?

Cindy: You used all of them. Viv had destroyed the Time Stone after you used them all.

You were surpised.

Y/N: How did I use the stones?

Cindy shook her head.

Cindy: The Gauntlet. You used it to bring back everyone who had died during the Event before you went mad.

What the hell happened during the Event and why did it lead to all of this? Everyone had worked so hard to prevent you from learning about it. It was probably for the best. You can't know too much about the future after all.

Y/N: Then I can turn myself in under the lie of giving him the stone. After that I can confront him.

Cindy: What about the others?

You sighed. The Strikers and the Elites were still an issue. You couldn't do anything with just you and Cindy.

Y/N: Maybe we can....shit.

You held your head as you tried to think. Cindy could fight, but she couldn't hold her own against the Strikers of the Elites while you fought the Emperor. Even if you did have Laura you would be greatly outmatched and outnumbered.

Y/N: Why does this have to be so hard?

Cindy: Because this is war.

You recalled your time in Vietnam.

Y/N: Yeah. I know.

You were cornered. No chance. No way of winning without things getting worse. How were you supposed to beat the Emperor?

Cindy: We need to find Riri.

Y/N: I know. We just need to.....that's it!

You stood up and Cindy looked at you.

Y/N: I just need to go in long enough to find Riri and free her. I'm sure she has a plan right?!

Cindy shrugged.

Cindy: I have no idea. I doubt she knows about Sam, Kamala, and Miles.

You realized she was right. Maybe you could tell her about them and put your heads together to think. That's what you needed. Yeah. You needed to free Riri.

Y/N: I'm going to go find Riri tonight. Once I free her we can come up with a plan. She's the catalyst. The face of the rebellion right?

Cindy nodded.

Y/N: Then there we go. Once we free her she can rally everyone. We can have a plan.

Cindy: And how are you going to free her? She's in the cells meaning you'll have to fight through the Elites.

You looked down at you hand and ignited it.

Y/N: So be it. I'm done trying to avoid hurting them. It's like you said, this is war. They aren't the ones I left behind. This isn't my world. If I have to kill them, I will.

Cindy looked at your eye as it started to glitch into the strange purple before returning to normal. You got rid of the flames and turned towards the Avengers' Tower where the Emperor was held up. Once a beacon of hope, became a looming threat. Time really does change everything.