Chapter 62- Freddie's POV

"Okay, I know I messed up and failed at this big brother thing. But I tried, I really honestly did." I say to Mum before Dad can get back from Leah's room. "I said one wrong thing because I wanted her to actually listen to me and then she just stopped talking to me completely. And for that recent curfew thing, I just fell asleep outside of the room that she locked herself in, just in case she needed me. I'm trying Mum I really honestly am trying."

Mum puts her hand on my knee, "Relax, Fred."

I take a deep breath and sink deep into the couch. Dad comes out of Leah's room and sits on top of the coffee table in front of us, "Can we hear your version of things please?" He says to me.

I look between Mum and Dad before everything from the past few weeks spill out of my mouth. Once I start I can't seem to stop. Neither Mum nor Dad says anything, never once do they interrupt me, never once does it look like either of them lose interest in what I have to say.

"I don't think that we have to tell you just how dumb it was to say the things that you said to Cass. I think you know that." Dad says once I've finished.

I chuckle to myself, "Yeah, it's pretty clear how badly I fucked up... sorry." I look at Mum and sort of lean away from her, expecting to swat at me for swearing. But she doesn't.

"We understand that you have no idea how to react to situations like this. You've never been exposed to the dark arts outside of the classroom. It's scary for you just as much as it is for Cass." Mum says, "I want to say you've done everything right. You showed concern, you didn't word it properly, but you understood that and you've apologized... you have apologized..?"

"Yeah, yeah I've said I'm sorry."

"And you meant it?" Dad says, one of his eyebrows raised.

I nod, "Course I meant it. I never say sorry without meaning it."

Dad smiles, "And you didn't leave her alone when you saw her struggling. That's all you could have done at that moment."

Just hearing my Mum and Dad talk to me like this, telling me that they aren't pissed. That they get that I'm sixteen and will fuck up and that it's alright to fuck up makes me feel good.

"Inviting your new girlfriend and her parents over for dinner without asking us first though?" Mum says with that look on her face that says, seriously Freddie? without actually saying anything.

"I really like her Mum, and I think you'll like her too. She's pretty awesome." I stop myself before I start gushing about Evie. I know my parents would take that and run with it for the next six months.

"Dad's birthday is on Thursday so we're having the family over then. We're spending the weekend at Nan and Pops for Easter..." Mum is thinking out loud.

"Wednesday we've got to get the shop ready for our annual April Fools sale..." Dad starts thinking along with Mum, leaving me out of the conversation.

"And Tuesday is inventory, which is bound to take a lot longer than a few hours..."

"Meaning if we're going to have them over then it's got to be Monday..."

Mum sucks her teeth, "Tomorrow? With everything that we've got going on?"

"It's the only day that we could do it, and it'll be good to meet this girls parents..."

"I'm going to have to go to the shops tomorrow then, so you'll have to get Lance or Verity over here."

If I don't stop them then they'll do this all night. Talking in half sentences and shared ideas. I pull out my phone and quickly text Evie while my parents are talking.