118 | preparing for the future

𝐅𝐨𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐆𝐫𝐚𝐲𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 118"PREPARING FOR THE FUTURE"

𝐅𝐨𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐆𝐫𝐚𝐲
𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 118
"PREPARING FOR THE FUTURE"
..⃗.🕊•̩̩͙⁺゜ ⤾·˚ ༘ ◡̈

It was a typical day at Cafe De Flore—peaceful, quiet, and the only sound that anyone cared to listen to was the sound of an old George Straight record playing in the corner of the room. Beside me was Ryan who was busy reading a hockey magazine for our English research project every senior was required to do, and of course, he chose to write his essay on hockey. There was nothing wrong with it, it was actually pretty smart.

I still didn't have anything planned for my essay. I didn't know what I wanted to research, and I had no idea where to even start. Adam was researching the basics of Business, Ken researching the history of figure skating, and Guy, marine biology. They all mostly were focusing on what they wanted to do after graduation. However, I didn't know what I wanted to do.

"Ryan?" I quickly spoke up while my mind was full of curiosity. The boy held up his pointer finger, his eyes slowly meeting with mine while he finished reading the page he was on. He set his marker on the page he was on and then set the magazine down. When he was finally focused, he fully looked at me and smiled.

"What's up, Fos?" He questioned in a sweet tone. A small sigh slipped my lips.

"What are you doing after high school?" I asked. I let my legs dangle from the chair I sat on, my feet barley brushing against the floor. A frown grew on my face, and my good mood was disappearing. I could feel the headache forming in the back in my head from the talk about school. I usually wasn't stressed, but when it came to college and such, I was. All of my friends had their life figured out and I still didn't know what the hell I was going to do.

"I'm thinking about settling here and helping my dad with his business, even taking some business courses online or doing some community college," he truthfully told me. I nodded my head to let him know I was listening. I just didn't know how to respond. "How about you?" He asked.

I shrugged my shoulders and sighed again, "honestly, I don't know. I don't know what I want to do," I said, "everyone knows what they're doing.., but I don't." Ryan frowned as well.

"Well, what's Adam doing?" He asked. My frown grew even more. I know let my arms dangle at my sides.

"He's going to Pennsylvania.., he's going to PSU for Business, and he's going to be so far away for so long, but he wants to focus on business. Connie.., we don't talk at all.., but she's also going to PSU, a photography major," I huffed. I wasn't sure why I even brought Connie up. We've hardly talked since freshman year. I promised I wouldn't let people walk all over me, and even when she tried, I wouldn't let her. She also kept getting detentions and her mom caught her sneaking boys into her house almost every night so I think the five month grounding kind of knocked some sense into her.