twenty one | smiles

foster gray

foster gray

-a beach in California  
-7 PM

"Just a city boy, living in a lonely world!" I sung at the top of my lungs. A smile was now plastered on my face. I danced in the sand while my favorite song blasted on the speaker Lucas dragged with him.

He knew what music to play to get me in a good mood. Isaac had ahold of Grace's hand, twirling her around as the music played. Alexei followed the same action, but with Holly.

Kade was off making out with some girl that kept flirting with him, using the excuse that he was going down the street to get some food. Lucas, who still wore his boots, jeans, and Led Zeppelin shirt, went with Kade so he could actually get some food.

I was about to head into the water with a surf board I rented under my arm, but the song caused me to stop.

We all jumped around to the song. It was kind of like our song. We all loved it. Every time it came on we went crazy like we were now.

An incoming call, which caused the music to stop playing, stopped us all. I sighed and went over to Lucas's phone, answering it. It was Kade.

"Yes Kade?" I questioned.

"It's Lucas, I stole Kades phone," I let out a chuckled, "Start running guys. We're on our way back. Just start running," he said in a hurry. I sighed again. Lucas was causing some kind of trouble, but it wasn't a surprise to me.

"What did you do?" I asked him.

"Let's just say, food here is hella expensive," he said, "I see you guys! This dude is chasing me. Let's go!"

I quickly hung up the phone, grabbing his speaker and the bag I took with me. A smile was plastered on my face. I saw Lucas running towards us with a basket of his favorite chili fries in his hand. He shoved a chili dog in his mouth.

"Where's Kade?" I yelled at him. Lucas shrugged. He finally got to us, and we all started running down the beach with laughter escaping our mouths.

Sand stuck to my body. It wasn't that easy running in the sand like I thought it was.

"Did you steal that?" I yelled as we ran.

"Hell yeah, man!" Lucas shouted back with his mouth full. I shook my head and continued to laugh.

Surprisingly, this wasn't the first time this had happened. We always ran into this situation in Wisconsin where Kade took us out for dinner telling us he'd pay, but then he'd forget to bring his money and we all had to run out at once.

I'd usually save everyone's butt by bringing my wallet, but I didn't have any money left. I didn't have much to begin with. Maybe twenty bucks, but like Lucas said, things here were expensive.