ten | admitting feelings

foster gray

foster gray

-Anaheim, CA
-team usa dormitory

     I've hated myself for the longest time. Wow, I've just became really depressing.

     As I stared at myself in the mirror, I couldn't help but think of Connie. How she always laughed at me when I ate.

     I wasn't the slimmest. I could lose some weight.

     How she always made fun of my nose. Sure it was weird, but hers wasn't perfect either.

     How she made fun of every little thing about me, to the point where I can't even love myself the way I used to.

     I've had the dream of being part of Team USA hockey for the longest time, but I always imagined it would go different.

    I thought I was going to become best friends with the girl or girls on the team, and we'd spend every second we had free with each other.

    But Connie and Julie, they don't even want to be near me. Julie used to look sorry for everything that was happening, but now it just seems like she goes along with it.

    I fell onto my bed. We had practice in a while, and then interviews.

    This was the interview Coach told me about the first day. I never mentioned it to the gang back home. I wanted it to be sort of a surprise to them.

    I could not wait for this interview.

-hollywood, ca
-sjj videography

    I sat in a cool looking chair in front of a green screen, camera's and lights in front of me. I felt very hot with all of the lights. A small microphone was attached to my shirt so you could hear me on camera.

    A teenage girl, I'd say around 19 or so, sat beside the camera, and list of questions in her hands.

    Coach Bombay and Mr. Tibbles stood off to the side. Ms. MacKay was having lessons with the team back at the dorms. It was cool being able to skip out, but I was scared to hear what everyone else had to say about it.

     A guy walked in front of me with one of those things people use at the beginning of the movie and yell 'Action!' He slammed the top of the thing down and then moved out of the way.

      "Okay," the girl started. Her name was Jenna, and she was really nice, "so, just state your name, your age, and where you're from."

     I was nervous, but I wasn't going to let it show. I let my excitement take over.

    "I'm Foster Gray, 14 years old, and I'm from Point Place, Wisconsin," I said.

     "Foster, tell me about your hockey team back home," she told me.

     "Um, okay," I nervously said. What would I say? "I play for the Point Place Vikings, on the boys team. I used to play for the girls, but then they switched me to play with the boys because I was too skilled, but now the league is saying I'm too good for them, which I don't think so. My team back home is amazing though. The boys are like my brothers. They're all really skilled players and I know they can make it far in their hockey career."

      "Now tell me about your Coach."

     "Coach Perry, well, I learned a lot from. Thanks to him, I know how to play any position and can easily adjust to last minute changes. He's a great Coach," I said. I didn't really know what else to say about him.

"Do you have any friends from Wisconsin?" Jenna asked. I smiled to myself. I do every time someone mentions them.

"I do, yes," I said, "they're the best. They always show up to all of my hockey games, banquets, or anything. They were basically on the team, but they still don't know how to play hockey," I laughed, "they're the best. They're always supportive of me not matter what I do."

Jenna nodded and moved on to the next question. I nervously shifted in my chair.

"What about your parents?" She asked.

I felt frozen. Now what would I say? I couldn't say my dad wasn't alive and that my moms a drunk and ran out on me form some guy she met online. I bit my lip.

That's when my mind went to the Cameron's. I felt a smile form on my face again.

"I have two loving parents. Mr. C- uh, my dad.., flew the whole way to Minnesota with me because he didn't trust anyone in the airports," I laughed, "but they're really loving and they're so supportive."

"Now, how do you like your new teammates?"

"They're great," I lied, "they're all so nice, and I get along with all of them. I thought it was going to be hard playing with people I've never met before, but it's actually pretty cool and fun. We're from all over the place, and we all have our own stories. But like I said, they're great. This is an amazing team, and I have faith we're going to make it the whole way."

"Would you say there's any romance between you or anyone, or any of your teammates in general?"

I shook my head. I didn't pay attention to anyone beside Ken and Adam, and they were my friends.

But I felt a certain way around Adam. The way he hugged me a few nights ago when I was mid panic attack, they way he always comforts me, how he's always there for me. I felt my cheeks turn red. I looked back up at Jenna and shook my head.

"Nope, not that I know of. We're all pretty close friends though."

The interview went on and on. I couldn't wait to see this when it was edited and all put together.

When I got back to the dorm I called Grace and Holly. I had to tell them something and I needed to spill it.

"Come on, come on, come on," I quietly said to myself as the line rang. Finally, someone answered.

"Hello?" Grace answered.

"I think I have feelings for Adam," I blurted out. I immediately covered my mouth.

"Ooh, the hot guy?"