seventy six | pool chilling

F O S T E RG R A Y

F O S T E R
G R A Y

-tuesday evening
-adam banks's backyard

   "Foster! I'm open!"

    My eyes scanned the large back yard, squinting from the bright sun in the sky. My eyes landed on Kris by the huge oak tree by the field, his arms waving frantically around the air.

   I shifted my view to the right of him seeing Adam charging towards me with a devilish grin on his face, a cute, devilish grin that only made me smile even more. But I knew if I didn't throw the football I held in my hands, I'd be dead meat.

    I lunged forwards and brought my arm back, snapping the ball to Kris with force. The ball soared through the sky. I hadn't realized I had such a great arm, but I guess growing up with Kade, Isaac and Lucas, I had gotten used to it.

   Suddenly, I felt Adam's arms around my waist. He tackled me to the ground. The two of us rolled over each other with laughter escaping my mouth.

   "You loser!" I shouted still laughing. We came to a stop in the middle of the yard. He started to tickle my side uncontrollably. My smile wouldn't leave my face.

   Moments later, after yelling and smacking him over and over again, their dog Cheeto, yes, Cheeto, waddled over to us and started to jump on Adam. I smiled even more. His dog liked me more, didn't he?

   "Cheeto, come on!" Adam shouted with pure happiness. He climbed off of me and grabbed ahold of the yapping tiny Australian Shepherd. He started to mess with the puppy in his arms and it was the cutest thing ever.

   I slowly stood up from the ground and adjusted my shirt and my shorts, still gazing at Adam with awe on the ground.

   Across the yard, Kris walked toward us with exhaustion and breathing heavily. Way more than I was and Kris actually played football. He placed his hands on his hips and headed to the large deck.

   "Ah, I gotta take a shit!" He shouted. "If you wanna play more, go ahead. I'm going to be at least an hour!"

   I glanced back down at Adam with a look of disgust. I literally didn't understand his brother. He was the weirdest person ever, I swear.

   As Kris disappeared into the house, Adam set Cheeto on the ground and stood up. He looked at me with a smile, however, I didn't return it. I looked at him sadly.

  "Can we talk?" I asked him. I needed to tell him about my conversation with Coach Orion, but I was kind of scared how he'd react.

   "You want to go to the pool?" He asked me with a calm tone. I slightly smiled and nodded my head. The two of us walked to the pool side by side, our hands brushing against each other every now and then until he eventually just grabbed my hand.

   When we got to the pool, we both laid on the ground in opposite directions, however, our heads were side by side.

   "What's up?" He asked me once we got situated. I could hear the music still playing in the background which eased my nerves the slightest bit. I sighed.

   "I talked to Coach Orion yesterday after our game," I told him, shutting my eyes.

   "Yeah?" He asked. I nodded my head.

   "I asked him for advice on Coach Wilson because quite frankly I hate him and I don't know what to do. He makes me feel like an object and not a person, ya know?"

   "Yeah, I know. I'm sorry he makes you feel that way. But you know your worth, right?" He questioned. I opened my eyes and glanced into his blue eyes, nodding my head the slightest bit. I sent him a small smile. He always made sure I knew my worth and I admired that.

   "I do, thank you," I responded. It became silent for a moment. I looked back up at the sky and closed my eyes. I continued to talk. "Anyways, I told him that I wouldn't mind being back with the Ducks, and he said he'd love to have me back, and you too, but.., I told him that being part of the Varsity team has always been a dream of yours and I didn't want to ruin that. And I don't want to go back if it's not okay with you?"

"If it's not okay with me? Foster, do what makes you happy okay. Going back with the ducks, you're actually be able to play and you're going to be happy. I just want you to be happy," he said to me. My smile grew. "When are you going back?" He asked me.

I shrugged my shoulders, "I'm not sure, honestly. He said it's going to take awhile, so I'll be with you guys awhile longer." I explained. I saw him nod his head. I broke the silence once it occurred again. "I mean it when I say you're a blessing. I've literally never been so happy in my life. You treat me.. I don't know, like a-"

"Like a princess? Because that's what you deserve. And I feel the same way. I'm so glad I get to spend the next four years with you," he softly said. I gazed at him with soft eyes. I slowly leaned forwards and placed a long yet gentle kiss on his forehead.

It became silent once more. The both of us laid on the concrete by the pool, tanning, or well, for me, burning. It felt nice sitting in the sun with the boy that meant so much to me. I've dream for something like this to happen forever, and I never expected to find someone like Adam. Right when it felt like my world was being torn apart, he was right there by my side providing so much warmth and comfort.

I loved the boy while my entire heart. I would shout it from to roof tops, telling everyone in the city, the state, the country, but I just wasn't sure if he felt the same way. I didn't want to rush anything.

I know we've know each other for about five months now, since May, and we've had the closest bond ever, but I wasn't sure. I told my friends I loved them, I told Ken I loved him, but with Adam, it was different.

I listened to the peaceful music while I relaxed with the sun beating on me. I softly started to sing the song that was playing. I don't think I've ever truly sung in front of Adam, but I loved the song playing and I just had to.

"I don't wanna break your thread and needle. Tryna stitch you, but I can't, I refuse. Shouldn't love you, but I couldn't help it. Had a feeling that you never felt it. I always knew that you were too dang selfish. Don't know why I looked the other way," I sang, staring up at the beautiful blue sky. I felt Adam look at me. I turned my head to face him upside down.

He gazed at me with amazement, "woah," he breathed out. "That was... amazing, Foster. I.., you have such a beautiful voice."

I playfully rolled my eyes, "thanks, clumsy, but I don't, really. I sound like a screeching cat."

I heard him laugh. He punched my arm playfully and gently.

"I'm serious. Can you sing some more please? I just want to... listen to you.., to relax," he begged. I sighed. He looked at me with pleading eyes. I playfully rolled my eyes and started to sing the sing again while looking up at the sky.

He let out a happy sigh. Eventually, he fell asleep on the burning concrete.