five | photoshoot prep

foster gray

foster gray

-minneapolis, minnesota
-b-rose studios

      The team and I were escorted into a large building where our photoshoot and interviews were held.

      I carried a large box for Coach Bombay, while he carried another. I have no idea what was in them, but he said it was a surprise.

     I wonder if it was our jerseys. That'd be cool. We got to this huge room, where there was a table of food for us. My stomach started to growl.

Coach stopped at a table and out the box down. He grabbed the box from my arms and set it down beside the other ones.

He then turned to all of us.

"Team, today is going to be a day full of fun, and walking. You will be in a group of two, and each group will be assigned photographers who you will spend the day with. They will take you around to different places to get pictures of you. If your parents are here, they need to go with you," he explained to us.

I sighed. I hated talking about my parents.

I crossed my arm, moving my hand up to my mouth and chewing on my nail. I always did this when I was nervous.

"I already picked who you're going with. There's one group of three. That's Connie, Julie, and Foster," he said. I held in a sigh. Connie? "Before we go anywhere, you guys need to eat, get changed into whatever the photographer has for you, and they'll take you out. When you guys come back, I will have your track suits and all of your Team USA merch waiting for you."

So that's what was in the box. No wonder why it was so heavy.

Coach dismissed us and sent all of us get something to eat. I made it to the table last. There wasn't much left, and I figured Coach, Mr. Tibbles, and the girl from yesterday, our team tutor, Ms. MacKay wanted to eat too, so I took as little as I could.

I found and empty seat at an empty table. All the other seats were filled, so I was stuck by myself, which I didn't entirely mind.

I slowly ate my food, feeling like someone was staring at me. I looked up at the other table. Connie was. I sighed. Why was she coming for me?

She started to laugh at me, which made me really uncomfortable. I stopped eating my food and got up, throwing it away in the nearest trash can.

"Woah, what was that for?" Adam asked me as he walked to the trash can, throwing away the crumbs of food he had left.

"Uh, I just lost my appetite, that's all," I lied. I could tell he saw right through me.

"If she laughs at you, so what, screw her. It's not healthy to skip meals," he tried to lighten the mood. I slightly smiled. He was right.

"Why is she coming for me?" I questioned. The two of us started walking to where we needed to be to get changed.

"She was the only girl here before. She was Coach's favorite. We don't have an all girls team here, so she was immediately stuck with the boys. She knows you're better than her, and she jealous," he explained.

Why would she be jealous of me though? That's what I didn't understand. Connie was a great hockey player and she was gorgeous. So why would she be jealous?

I sighed, "this is only my second day and she's making this terrible."

"Forget about her. You're going to make the best out of this trip, and I'm going to make sure of it," he smiled at me. I returned the smile.

"You're right. This trip is going to be fun. Who cares what she says?"

I wished I believed the own words I spit out of my mouth, but I didn't.

We got to the place where we needed to be, and I met my photographer. He was pretty chill, and he was somewhat new, so his supervisor would be with us the whole time. I suddenly got excited for this.

He gave me some clothes and lead me to the bathrooms where I got changed. He left once I shut the door.

Here goes nothing. I got undressed and put my clothes into a nice pile, but I kept the necklace on that Kade gave me. It was mine in the first place, but he stole it last year, and I never really cared.

I started putting on the clothes he gave me. I slid the light blue top over my head, sliding it down my chest. There was a cool tie in the back that I couldn't get tied.

Before I went to go find help, I put the bottoms on. It was a jean skirt that stopped mid thigh, and it looked pretty cute with the top. The outfit was a bit out of my comfort zone, but I really liked it.

I slid on the sandals they gave me and picked my clothes up from the floor. I stepped out of the bathroom and saw Julie and Connie walking around the corner.

"Oh, great!" I stopped them, "can one of you please tie the back of my shirt?" I nicely asked.

Julie nodded. She walked over to me, but Connie quickly grabbed ahold of her arm and dragged her away. Julie gazed at me before turning around. I sighed.

Great, now Julie won't talk to me.

I saw Ken come around the corner. I stopped him.

"Can you please tie the back of my shirt please?" I asked him. He smiled at me.

"Sure!" I smiled wide. He came over and tied the back of my shirt for me.

"Thanks, Ken!" I responded. He nodded and walked into the bathroom.

I let out another sigh, walking to where I needed to be. This was surly going to be rough.