seventy one | california attitude

F O S T E RG R A Y

F O S T E R
G R A Y

-a few days later
-morning practice

   "Let's go, Gray, push! You gotta get past that blue line!" I heard Coen yell from the side of the ice.

   I'd be lying if I said Coach Wilson was fine with me missing the goal the other night at the game. Now he was doing all of these hard drills with me and only me. The boys couldn't even compare to what I was doing.

   Right now, a rope was tied around my waist, Cole holding it. I had to skate with his weight as fast as I could and Coach Wilson made me do it over and over again until he was pleased.

   However, my teammates were being super supportive and cheered me on. The team had kind of grown on me. They were super nice and protective, but I hated the way they were rude to everyone else. They didn't dare do while I was around though.

    I finally reach the blue line. I felt the force of the rope being removed from my waist and I let out a huge breath while my stomach clamped. I hurt so bad, but this all was making me a better player so why am I complaining?

   "Let's do its again! Jenner, take Cole's place!" My eyes widened at Coach Wilson's words. My eyes traveled over to the bench, seeing Joey Jenner, or JJ, the biggest player of them all, the most buffest, the heaviest, and the tallest player, skating onto the ice. How could my tiny self compare?

I let out a large sigh before getting prepared for another hard run.

After practice, I waited outside of the locker room. I sat on the floor with my gloves, helmet and my stick surrounding me. I was so tried and just wanted to get changed.

One by one my teammates left the locker room. However, I didn't see Adam anywhere. Rick was the last one out. He turned to me.

"Banksie wanted me to tell you he had left out the other door because he needed to get home, and now the locker room is all yours," he smiled at me. I thanked the boy before heading into the locker room, locking the door behind me.

Adam went home? That didn't seem right at all. I furrowed my eyebrows and let out a sigh, dragging my feet to my locker. I could hardly move.

"Hey," I heard a voice whisper. I jumped up from where I sat and let out a screeching scream. Turning around, I saw Adam standing there with the biggest grin on his face. I grabbed my shirt from my locker and smacked him with it only causing him to laugh.

"Not funny! You scared me!" I hissed at him quietly. I heard someone trying to open the door which was locked.

"Foster, are you okay?" I heard Rick call with worry. I let out a small breath.

"Yeah, sorry! There was a spider!" I shouted back.

"Okay, just making sure everything is good in there," he responded. I slightly smiled.

"Thanks!" I turned back to Adam, placing my hands on my hips which only caused me to wince. The boy walked closer to me. He lifted the bottom of my jersey up and helped me take it off since I was in so much pain. I was so grateful for this boy, it was unreal. I stood there while he began to take my pads off, soon only leaving me in my tshirt and everything else. I bent down and took my skates off, and then my shorts, to were I was left in a pair of socks, spandex, and my shirt. Adam stood in front of me.

He placed his hands on the bottom of my shirt and started to lift it up. My heart started to race. I sent him a confused look and grabbed ahold of his hand to stop him.

"W-What are you doing?" I stuttered. He sent me a small smile before pulling my shirt up again.

"Relax, I'm just checking to see your stomach. You're not going to have that much weight tied around you to have no bruises or marks," he whispered to me. I felt myself relax. He placed his cold hands on my stomach which only caused me to wince. "Sorry," he quickly apologized.

I looked down to where his hands rested. He brushed his fingers gently over a large rope shaped mark that was imbedded in my stomach. It but my lip with pain. It had hurt so much. Sure I had pads on, but that didn't stop the bruise from happening.

He removed his hands from me and let my shirt fall back down. "They really got you, didn't they?" He asked me.

I sadly nodded my head and began to pack my things up.

"Sadly," I spoke, sliding on my vans. A small breath escaped my lips. I zipped my bag up and turned back to Adam, immediately wrapping him into a hug. "I just want to be back with the Ducks. I know they all hate me right now, but I'd rather be with them."

Adam hugged me back gently. He kissed my forehead with ease.

"They hate me too, don't blame it all on yourself, okay? Just give them time," he responded with a soothing tone. I sighed.

"Adam, you're amazing."

"So are you, princess."

I walked down the stairs to my gym class with Charlie by my side. He didn't seem to be mad at all, and still wanted to walk with me to class like we usually did.

He was patient with me which I really appreciated. I was hardly able to walk. I could tell he was in a mood, so I let him rant and just talk and I could tell he felt better just by talking. I knew he was stressed with everything going on. I had also learned that he may have snuck a way into Linda Chavez's mind. I was happy for him.

When we reach the bottom of the stairs, I saw Connie and Julie at Julie's locker which happened to be by mine. The two of them haven't talked to me and every time I'd try I'd get ignored. I haven't even seen Julie at the dorm. It could've been because of our after school schedules, but it also could've been that she was staying with Connie, trying to avoid me on purpose.

"Hey, guys," I sweetly said to them as Charlie and I stopped at my locker so I could grab my gym clothes. Neither of them responded. However, Connie crossed her arms over her chest and sent me a devilish smile.

"Hey," she sarcastically responded. She furrowed her eyebrows. "You look sore," she spoke up. I gulped nervously and shook my head. I became super nervous. I heard Julie snicker. She slammed her locker door shut which caused me to jump.

"Must be from all the time you're spending on your back with the varsity players, huh?" The expression on my face dropped at Julie's words. I looked back at Charlie who fumbled with anger. I stared at both girls blankly, licking my pale lips. I felt sick to the stomach. I thought things were good, I really did, but I guess we were back to how things were in California. However, things were different this time.