fifty three | on the ice shenanigans

F O S T E R G R A Y

F O S T E R
G R A Y

-team usa vs Iceland, game 2
-part 3

   At the start of the second period, Averman took face off once again. Everyone looked tired and exhausted.

    As soon as the ref dropped the puck, Gunnar knocked Les to the ground like he did in the first period. He fell like a feather as if Gunnar blew on him.

  Watching Iceland race down the ice, my teammates used all of their strength against them, but it was barely enough to keep them back.

   "Bash brothers!" I suddenly yelled at my sudden thought. I jumped over to Coach Bombay. I placed my had on his shoulders and leaned forward. "Can we put Dean and Fulton in? We need their defense."

   Coach nodded his head. He motioned for the two boys to jump into the game without tearing his attention away from what was happening in front of us.

   Once the two goons stepped foot on the ice, the crowd went wild. They loved the bash brothers! My teammates all jumped up from the bench and cheered with excitement once they saw that we were starting to dominate the Vikings.

Meanwhile, Coach Bombay tried pushing them back to the bench to calm down. We were doing what he didn't want us to do. We weren't playing fair. I didn't know how to say something. Charlie and I both exchanged nervous glances. I knew we were thinking the same thing.

However, Iceland still had the puck. Number 74 was quick to take his shot but it was a great save by Goldberg. Ken skated around the net and took the puck from the goalie.

He suddenly shot the puck forwards before jumping into the air and spinning, trying to split up the defense. He passed the puck back to Fulton while the Iceland players looked at him stunned. He landed at the net with ease in front of the confused goalie. Fulton hurriedly passed the puck back to a Ken who shot it in the net, the goalie completely missing it.

I jumped up into the air with pride once I heard the buzzer sound. We got one!

"Yes, Ken!" I screamed at the boy who was being surrounded by our teammates on the ice. Adam glances back at me with a wide smile. The two of us were thinking the same thing.

"The Wumeister!" We Shiites at the same time. Laughter escaped both of our mouths. I felt my cheeks turn red. My eyes went back to Ken who seemed to be trash talking the Iceland goalie.

The goalie leaped froward and Ken was quick to stop. He threw his stick and his gloves down onto the ice, reaching behind the goalie and pulling her jersey over his helmet and his pads. He started to throw punches at the kid which only caused me to smile and laugh. Wu, Wu, Kenny Wu.

As I watched him get escorted to the box, my eyes met with a disapproving Coach. It was only the beginning of the second period, and I know it was going to get crazier.

I was right. Over at the Iceland bench, Dean and Fulton went past smacking each player on the back of the head as if they were playing wack-a-mole.

"Come on!" Coach yelled with defeat at the boys, "let's play hockey!"

Seconds later, the two boys were sent to the box with Ken. However, they still skated with pride, cheering with the crowd while they were escorted.

It was time to play again. As I saw Connie her up from the bench, I nudged Charlie and pointed to her. Now that we were fighting back, she was Iceland's biggest target because she was a girl. Charlie grabbed her attention.

"Connie, be careful out there, they're gunning for you," Charlie warned her. She stopped in her tracks for a brief moment and rolled her eyes.

"Don't worry, I'll be fine," she snapped back at him. Charlie looked at me with annoyed look.

"I'm sorry," I apologized. Maybe she didn't change that much. Charlie was just trying to prepare her.

   The puck was over towards Iceland goalie .i had no idea who had control over the puck. Connie skated down with our teammates, but Olaf was quick to shove her into the board rougher than he had with anyone else. I jumped up from the bench with anger with my upset teammates.

   I could hear Coach screaming. However, there were still no calls made from the refs. Did Iceland pay them? Why weren't they getting any penalties?

   A frustrated sigh escaped my lips. I rolled my eyes and cross my arms, turning back to where I was previously standing. I leaned against the boards behind me.

   Connie was definitely intimated, and she definitely knew to watch out now. I just hoped they wouldn't hurt her.

   Iceland had control of the puck. Nearing the goal, Olaf took his shot, but Goldberg made her another great stick save which caused the puck to slide to the wall. Connie was quick to skate to it and dig for it.

   My eyes traveled behind her where Olaf zoomed to her. My breathing hitched. I quickly leaked up with my hands on Adam's shoulder below me.

   "Connie, watch out!" I screamed. She didn't hear me. My teammates started to scream to, but she still couldn't hear us over the cheering fans in the arena.

    A high pitched yeehaw! grabbed my attention. I looked to my side seeing Dwayne hopping over the walls with his lasso in his hands. He swung it Hugh in the air and skated into Connie's direction where she was about to be hammered by Olaf.

   Everyone was confused. What was he doing? Once he got closer to Olaf, he lassoes the rope around his waist and pulled him back, away from Connie, causing him to fall on the ground.

   Charlie and I exchanged nervous glances. My teammates went wild, however, Charlie, Ms. MacKay and I didn't feel the same. I felt terrible. This is the last way Coach wanted us to play.

   "This isn't a hockey game, this is a circus," Coach murmured right before the buzzer went off signifying 2nd period was over.

   I was nervous. We had one last period to go. I hoped whatever happened in the locker room would give us the strength we needed. We needed to beat Iceland, but was it possible to score 3 more points?

   Could someone pull off the ultimate hat trick?