fifty eight | goodbyes

F O S T E R G R A Y

F O S T E R
G R A Y

-Saint Paul, Minnesota
-the airport, last day

"Ken Wu, I'm really going to miss wu," the smaller boy laughed at my poor attempt of a joke before wrapping me into a tight hug. I stood in the middle of the airport with him, Dean, Adam, and Kris.

We were at Ken's gate exchanging our last goodbyes. This day was one I hated the most. Leaving some of my closest friends. I was excited to go back to Wisconsin to see the gang, but I was going to miss these losers a lot.

I soon backed away from the boy.

"Frosty the snowman, I'm going to miss you too. But," he dragged off, "I know you don't like to use your phone, but I'm going to call you a lot, okay?"

I let out a small laugh and nodded my head.

"Of course, Wumeister," I responded. Over the intercom above, we heard the last call for Kenny's flight. A frown formed on my face.

"Well, I guess this is it, guys and girl," he spoke up, grabbing onto his suitcase behind him. He sent us all a sad smile. "I'm gonna miss you all. Truly!" I broke my hand away from Adam's grip beside me and waved to Ken viciously. Ken waved back. Eventually, he turned on his heels with sadness taking over. He glanced back at us one last time as he neared the gate before a woman escorted him out. She shut the door behind him, and he was no longer in sight.

I turned to Dean. He was the next one to leave. His gate was beside Kens, so we didn't have to go anywhere. Before I could say anything, the boy hugged me tightly. He picked me up from the ground and started to shake me which caused me to squeal.

   "Portman! Put me down!" I groaned jokingly, smacking the back of the boys back gently so I wouldn't hurt him. I felt him laugh. He finally put me back down on the ground and let go of me. He brought his hand to the top of my head and messed up the Dutch braids in my hair.

   "Foster," he spoke, "don't let anyone beat you down in Wisconsin, okay? I'm sorry for what I did to you. You truly didn't deserve it."

   I smiled, "thanks Portman. And it's alright, okay? We're good now, aren't we?" I grinned up at the boy, sticking my fist out. He smashed his fist against mine and nodded his head.

   "I don't deserve your forgiveness," he said. I shrugged my shoulders.

   "Things happen. There a lot of people out there that probably shouldnt deserve my forgiveness but I forgave them because I care and I believe in many chances," I responded genuinely.

   I forgave people that I know I shouldn't have. They didn't deserve it at all, but the past was the past, right?

  Eventually Dean left, leaving Adam, Kris and I. Kris has left to go get something to eat so Adam and I had some alone time. I had a nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach. I didn't want to leave.

   I stood in front of Adam, my hands around his neck while his hands were set on my waist. His eyes were cloudy.

   "We need to talk," he said with sorrow. I nodded my head. I know we needed to. I bit my lip to prevent myself from crying. I didn't want to leave, and I had a feeling I knew what this talk was about.

   The two of us pulled away from each other and went to go sit down. He held ahold of my hands tightly.

   "So..," I trailed off. I looked up at Adam. I know he didn't want to say what he was about to, I knew it was hard for him. I knew what it was about. "Adam," my voice cracked. I felt some tears start to fall, "I know what you want to say, so you don't have to say anything, okay?" I started to cry.

   I saw some tears fall from his eyes as well. It broke my heart.

   "Foster, I don't want to do this, I don't want to break you heart. I don't want to break up with you at all, but..," he trailed off. I shut my eyes letting more tears fall. "You don't hate me, do you?"

   I opened my eyes and shook my head, "Adam, I'd never hate you. It's impossible to."

   My mind wondered to the note I wrote the other day. Everything I wanted to say was there. I sighed. I pulled my hands away from Adam's and reached into my bag. I grabbed the envelope and handed it to him.

   "What's this?" He asked me.

   "I know this probably isn't the best time to give this to you, but, I need to. Open it when you get home please?" I begged him. I started to sob.

   He set the envelope down beside him and placed his hands on my cheeks. We gazed into each other's eyes while I cried.

   "Please don't cry," he quietly said. "This isn't the end, okay?" He wiped my tears away with his thumbs. I only cried harder. He brought me to his chest, his hand still on my cheek while his other was strapped around me. I hugged him tightly.

"But, Adam, we're probably not going to see each other again until we graduate high school, maybe even college. I don't want to leave you," I cried. I shut my eyes once again and clung onto him.

I felt him slide something onto my wrist. When I looked down I saw the string bracelet he always wore now on my wrist. I turned my gaze up to him.

"I'm always going to be by your side, okay? Even if we're not together..., I'll be right here," he said pointing to the bracelet. A weak smile formed on my face. This boy was so sweet. I didn't want to leave him.

Suddenly, I heard my flight being called over the intercom. I looked back up at Adam, quickly pressing my lips into his. I felt him kiss back gently. Our lips moved together in synch.

I pulled away. The both of us stood up from where we sat. I picked up all of my belongings.

"Goodbye, Foster."

I looked at the boy sadly, wiping away the rest of my tears. I sent him another weak smile.

"Goodbye, Adam."