twenty seven | distractions

foster gray

foster gray

-dormitories
-mid afternoon

    We finally arrived to a place outside of the dorms where small bleachers sat with a fire barrel in front of it. Everyone gathered onto the bleachers.

     As I was about to sit on the top row, I was pushed off. I fell to the ground hardly. I winced in pain.

     "Woah, hey! What was that for!" I heard Coach Bombay yell. I sighed. I quickly picked myself up and looked at Coach.

    "I fell, that's all, I'm sorry. I'm quite the clumsy girl," I nervously laughed. He gave me a suspicious look. Behind him, Miss MacKay has crossed her arms and sent me a stern look. She knew what was up. I stayed silent.

    "Are you alright, though?" Coach calmly asked me. I hurriedly nodded at him.

    "Yeah, I'm fine," I lied. My arm was killing me. I landed on it completely wrong, but I knew I'd be fine. It wasn't anything big.

    I looked up at Adam who sat on the bench. He looked at me apologetically.

    "I'm so sorry, someone shoved me," he apologized. I attempted to take a seat beside him again, but he was bumped. He caught me before I could fall. I decided on standing there, and thanked him.

    "I know, Adam, don't be sorry, you're fine," I reassured him. He gave me a sad smile. I crossed my arms over my chest and turned my attention to Coach at the barrel.

    "Do you want my seat?" Adam whispered to me while Coach started to talk. I shook my head and leaned closer to him.

    "Thank you, but if I sit down theyre just going to keep shoving everyone," I sadly said. Adam gave me a frown, which caused me to frown.

    "You're happiness is drifting away from you and that's making me sad," he whispered again. I sent him a weak smile. He was completely right. I just didn't know how to fix it. The only way I could fix it was to leave, but I wanted to stay here and play hockey.

     I wanted to be happy and play hockey though. I never thought being a part of Team USA would be like this. I had always had other visions of this experience. None of them turned out the way I had hoped.

I could stick up for myself, but I don't know, I didn't have the heart to. Sure these people treated my terribly, but I can't find myself sticking up because they'll make my life more miserable. I don't know. I want to, but I'm scared.

"I've had a lot of big distractions since I've been here in LA," Coach started to say. I forced a smile onto my face and watched what the man was doing. He held up a big cardboard cutout of himself. I let out a small laugh, "this is a distraction."

He handed it over to Yans.

"Nice looking, Coach," Dean joked. I smiled again.

"Yeah, Coach, why didn't you tell us you have a twin?" I attempted to joke. Everyone went silent. I looked down at my hands nervously.