sixteen | second thoughts

It was early in the morning, before anyone else was awake

    It was early in the morning, before anyone else was awake. I was in the small room that was reserved for the team, which was basically just a kitchen and two table where we could sit and eat.

     I made my famous waffles for everyone. Everyone seemed to love my famous waffles from Ms. MacKay's breakfast.

      Adam knew it was me. There was no way of hiding it from him.

      When I was done making breakfast for everyone, I quickly cleaned up my mess and set the stacks of waffles in the oven so they could keep warm. I then wrote a note and taped it on the fridge for whoever was the first on to come in.

      I didn't bother eating anything. I just wanted to get in and out before I was caught. When I was done I quickly went back to my lonely room and got ready from class that started in an hour.

I headed out of the door showered, dressed, clean teeth, and an empty stomach. Before I was able to close my door, I was stopped by a delivery man who held a big vase of flowers. He handed it to me, and I was barely able to stand up straight.

I pushed the door open with my foot and struggled to set on the big table in the corner of the room. I started to feel funky.

I struggled the thought off and started to look for a cars in the beautiful array of flowers. Who could've delivered them?

I finally found one. I opened it. Written neatly were the words 'Here are some beautiful Amaryllis for your not so beautiful face, or soul, or anything about you. Enjoy!'

"These are Amaryllis?" I quickly threw the card down and backed away. I knew it was Connie who sent these. But how did she know I was deathly allergic to them?

I turned my body towards the door, grabbed my backpack from my bedside and headed to class early.

I sat in the classroom alone, working on some chemistry that Ms. MacKay has been teaching me in private.

I suddenly started to zone out. Maybe I should just go home.

It's obvious I'm not very welcomed here. I was starting to have second thoughts about everything. How I wasn't a good player, a good friend, and good person, anything.

I sighed. After a few minutes, the team started to flood into the classroom. Adam took a seat in the front row beside me, with Luis on my other side.

Luis still didn't talk to me much, but I learned that he helped Adam throw the party for me. He was starting to warm up to me, but I could still feel that he had all of Connie's weight on his shoulders.

He glanced at me, giving me a small smile. I smiled back.

I turned back to the paper on my desk. Behind us, I could hear Connie talking about me. I stayed silent. I learned to just let her talk.

I felt something hit the back of my head. It bounced off of my shoulder and landed on my lap. I grabbed it confused. I slowly started to open it.

It was the same handwriting as the notecard from the flowers. I sighed.

'Please just go home already!' It read. I sighed again. I was really debating it.

Adam quickly grabbed it from my hands. He scribbled something on it. He crinkled it back into a ball, turned around, and angrily threw it back to Connie.

He turned back to the front and looked at me, "just ignore her."

I nodded, nervously looking down.

I heard Connie gasp in the back. I looked back at Adam who held back his laughter. I let out a small laugh myself, but I quickly covered my mouth with my hand.

I leaned closer to Adam, "what'd you say?"

He laughed again and shrugged, "nothing nice."

      I felt something but that back of my head again. My smile faded. Ms. MacKay who just entered the room, grabbed the paper that was thrown at me that fell on the floor.

      She picked it up and threw it in the trash, "that will be enough, Ms. Moreau."

       Tomorrow was the big Iceland game. I was upset that I wasn't able to play, but that just meant I could help out if anyone got injured. I hoped no one would, but Iceland was strong, and I felt that we weren't really ready for them.

     After class, the team had practice. I wanted to go, but I knew I'd end up getting on the ice anyways and somehow I'd get hurt and my stitches would fall out.

     Instead, I sat with the gang in my tiny dorm room. I sat at my desk with a stack of notecard sitting in front of me, and a pen in my hands, while the others were spread around the room.

     The boys sat on my bed, watching TV and eating junk that I yelled at them not to spill all over my bed, while the girl sat at the table, organizing all of my clothes, makeup, and all of that.

     Lucas and Kade took the flowers back to Connie and Julie's room. Who new their room would be unlocked.

      "I've been stalking this bitch on Instagram," Holly spoke up. She pulled her chair over to my desk and sat beside me. Grace followed her actions, "she's such a slut!" I felt my eyes widen. That was kind of harsh.

     I stayed silent.

     "You're really letting this bitch ruin your trip?" Grace said. She took Holly's phone and showed me a picture of Connie and Julie on the beach when we first got here. Their bikinis were a bit too exposing.

      I wasn't the one to judge, but one wrong move for them and they would've been exposed, and I knew how embarrassing that could be. I didn't want that to happen to them.

     "Wait, I thought you said you guys were good," Isaac said confused. I shrugged, continuing to write notes on these cards.

     They were positive notes to get everyone in a good mood. I was writing one to everyone on the team and I was planning on heading in early to hid them in their lockers so they wouldn't know it was me.

     I did that to my team back in Wisconsin but they all new it was me anyways.

     "We are. She just didn't know I was allergic to them," I lied. I didn't look up at any of them.

      "Then why did the card say what it did?" Isaac questioned. I closed my eyes for a moment.

     "Her and I talked about it. She meant to send it to me when we first came here, when we weren't on good terms. She apologized for it," I lied again. I saw Isaac nod in the corner of my eye. He turned his attention back to the tv.

      That when I looked up at the girls. I had tears in my eyes.

     "I want to go home," my voice silently cracked. Holly wrapped me in a hug, and Geace grabbed ahold of my hand."

     "We'll be back, guys," she told the boys, "were going to that bathroom down the hall when're the vending machines are to get snacks. Do you guys want anything?"

    The boys stayed silent. They were too busy watching TV, that they didn't even hear Grace. The three of us got up and headed down the hall.