ninety | home

↳ foster gray

foster gray

I WAS WELCOMED BACK TO WISCONSIN by the fresh, cold air. Oh, how I missed the fall season in Point Place. However, my usual smile was replaced with a frown. I hadn't told anyone about my visit. I sort of wanted to surprise them all.

Outside of the Cameron's house, I stood alone anxiously and nervously with my suitcase sitting behind me. I shivered in the cold afternoon. This was Wisconsin. I should've been prepared for the coldness. For some reason, I wasn't.

   I finally brought myself to knock on the door. I slowly rose my fist and softly knocked. Moments later, the door opened. Mr. Cameron stood there with a contender smile on his face, but when he saw me, his expression faded.

"Foster?" He questioned, folding the newspaper in his hands and stuffing it into his back pocket, "what are you doing back in Wisconsin? Why didn't you call us? I could've picked you up!"

The man ushered me inside, grabbing my suitcase for me. I walked into the warm house while taking my jacket off. I placed it in the coat rack just by the door and headed down the few stairs back to the front door. I gazed up at the man.

"I just needed some time here," I was beyond scared to tell him that I had been suspended. Mr. Cameron was a scary man. When Isaac once got a detention, he wasn't allowed to leave the house for a month, not even go to work.

"Kitty!" He called through the house to get his wife's attention. He looked back at me. "Well, dear, your room is still up there and you can stay as long as you can until you have to go back to school," he sweetly responded. I smiled in returned and thanked the man. A while later, Mrs. Cameron walked into the room with her usual apron tied around her. She brushed her flour covered hands on the front of her apron before looking at me. She was shocked.

"Foster, sweetie, what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be in Minnesota? Don't you have a game tonight?" She asked me with worry. I smiled at the two of them nervously.

"Um, yeah, actually, uh, about that, something happened yesterday after the game that I'm sort of scared to tell you about," I told them skeptically. Mr. Cameron furrowed his eyebrows and shoved his hands in the front pockets of his jeans, a sly frown on his face which only made me tense up.

  "Scared?" Mrs. Cameron questioned. I nodded my head and shifted myself uncomfortably.

   "You see, I punched Connie, and..., and I turned myself in, and I got a suspension and the only reason why I'm scared to tell you is because of the fact I got suspended, and I know what happened with Isaac that time he got detention, and I... I didn't want to be yelled at. Just know that I'm really sorry for punching Connie, and I 100% regret it.., kind of, but I'm sorry for getting suspended," I vented. The two sent me concerned looks before erupting in a loud laughter.

  My cheeks turned a bright shade of red. Mr. Cameron patted me on the back.

  "It's about damn time you stood up for yourself, Foster," he told me.

   "Yeah! Hell, that's amazing you punched her! Was it an uppercut?" Mrs. Cameron questioned while making punching motions with her fists. I cracked a small grin.

   "Just, uh, regular punch I guess," I responded still full with nervousness. The two smile wide. Mr. Cameron removed his hand from me.

   "The kids are down in the basement. We're glad to have you back, Foster. They all missed you like crazy," he smiled. "Go ahead down. I'll go take your suitcase up to your room."

   I smiled in response and thanked him in return, heading out the front door so I could casually enter the basement backdoor and surprise them.

I walked back into the cold air, making my way around the house into the driveway where I could see the usual two basketballs sitting on the pavement, as well as a plaid jacket with a grey hood that I knew belonged to Lucas. A small smile formed on my face. I walked over to it and picked it up before heading through the backyard to the basement. I skipped down the stairs and reached the door, stopping and taking a deep breath.

   I found enough courage to enter the room. I was immediately greeted by smoke and the strong smell of weed. I scrunched my nose up in disgust, closing the door behind me, and casually walking to the couch were my friends all sat. They were all high off of their minds, I'm sure, so they probably didn't even realize me.

   I took a seat in my usual spot that was empty while grabbing the bag of Doritos from Alexei's hands. He looked at me puzzled, like he knew I had been gone, but at the same time, I wasn't. I held my laughter back and looked at my other confused friends.

"Am I just seeing things, or is that Foster?" Grace spoke up from beside me. She moved her hand to my face and started to feel around, making sure I was real. I let my laughter loose.

"Yes, losers, it's me," I howled. I pushed the girls gigantic hand away from me right as they all tackled me on the couch into a big hug.

I was surely glad to be back home.

A/N:

Hey guys! I'm sorry for my lack of being active. My 17th birthday is Monday, the 29th, and recently I had gotten my license so I've been running around getting things ready for my party tomorrow and planning this big surprise for my momma since we share a birthday. As soon as it's all over I'm hoping to be back and updating a lot again. Thank you for all of the love and support with this story, I truly do appreciate.

I never would've thought I've gotten as much reads and votes as I have but it really means a lot and I can't thank y'all enough. <3

I made this story wanting to have a character based off of me in a sense, how someone remained positive through the things that hurt them the most and such, so I created Foster. I use things from my life and put it into this story. And seeing all of your comments about her honestly lifts my mood. I've been in a really low place lately and seeing the comments makes me realize I'm not terrible like I think I am, I don't even know if what I'm saying makes any sense haha.

   I had this sorry planned since I was maybe 14, but I only finally made it into a story in December and like I said, I didn't think it'd get this much attention by any mean, but I am so grateful and so thankful.

   Should I do something when this story hits 40k reads or 2k votes? Like how people do face reveals when they reach a certain amount of followers? Should I do something like that? I don't know, comment your ideas ? :))

Much love to you all <3