forty four | mistaken brother

F O S T E R G R A Y

F O S T E R
G R A Y

-venice beach

"Oh, I've got a story to tell y-"

"Kris! Will you just shut up!" Grace snapped at the boy.

We were still on the beach. It was only an hour later. Due to the heat, Grace was getting tired and cranky. Kris wouldn't stop talking so of course she got annoyed.

"Grace," I started, "you don't look to good. If you want, Adam has my money if you want to go get something to drink or something to eat."

Grace nodded her head. She tiredly wiped the sweat from her forehead and put the piece of trash in her hand into the trash bag.

"Thank you, Fos, you're a blessing," she said before walking away. I turned to Kris. I knew he was bored, he was tired and exhausted, and talking was only making this less boring for him.

"I'm listening," I laughed. Kris smirked. The bright sun shined in his eyes. He started to think of where to start.

"So, it's about Adam. Again. And it's embarrassing. Again," he spoke. I let out a small laugh.

"He's gonna kill you if he finds out you're telling me all of these things about him," I told him. The boy shrugged his shoulders.

   "It's be worth it. It's fun messing with him," I rolled my eyes at his comment. He started talking again, "so one time, when he was three, and I was I think either six or five at the time, we were in our back room coloring and drawing and shit, ya know, things kids do. He got up to sharpen his pencil. The kid was so fascinated with how things sharpened in the sharpener. He always ask to sharpen our pencils or crayons just to sit there and watch it. He became very curious, thinking that if it sharpened things, would he be able to sharpen his finger too and it'd be sharp like a pencil and he could write with it? The minute our mom left the room, he stuck his finger in the sharpener and starting the crank the wheel! Not even seconds later he started screaming bloody murder. Our mom came rushing into the room and we had to take him to the hospital to get stitches."

   I held back my laughter. It wasn't nice to laugh at something like that, but I lost it.

   "He really did that?" I howled. Kris nodded his head, laughing himself. When we calmed down we looked back at each other.

   "Now I dare you to ask him about i- look, look, here he comes," I looked down the beach where Adam had been, only to see him walking my way.

   Kris quickly turned away hiding his red face from laughing so hard.

   "Hey, Banksie," I happily said once he reached me. He sent me a smile, "so, I have a question..."

    He looked at me oddly, curious in what I had to ask. I put a serious look on my face and held my laughter back.

   "Yes...?" He nervously asked. I grinned.

   "Do you think, if it's possible, you can write me a list of your all time favorite hockey video games so I can start playing them?" I asked him. He furrowed his eyebrows.

   "Pft, you? Video games?" He asked me with surprise. I kept my smile on my face and nodded. His eyes softened, "do you have a pencil?"

   "No, but I thought you could write it with your pencil finger," I teased while wiggling my finger in his face. His eyes widened. He look over at his brother.

   "You did not!" He said in shock. He started to glare at Kris, "you told her? What else did you tell her?"

   "Uh, the time you broke through your crib when you were younger and shouted 'Me Men!' like that wrestler you saw on TV, um, that time we were in a tunnel driving past a truck driver and you begged him to honk and when he did you scared the actual shit out of mom and dad, uh, a lot of things, actually," Kris admitted, trying to make his brother angry.

   Adam's face turned red. I wasn't sure if it was because he was mad, embarrassed or a mixture of both.

   I reach for his hand and held it tightly looking at him with wonder. Was he alright?

   Suddenly the boy start to smile. He let out a small laugh and began to help pick up trash. After awhile, Kris stopped again.

   "I'm gonna play some music, is that alright?" He asked. I nodded my head, as well as Giana. Adam stopped and looked at him skeptically.

   "What song?" I heard Adam asked.

   "That Ruel song Younger," Adam became silent. When I looked up at him he was frantically shaking his head.

   "Do not play Ruel, I'm begging you," Adam spoke. I furrowed my eyebrows. He turned to me, "be ready to run, please be ready."

   I was confused. What was happening? Kris suddenly started to play the song on the speaker he brought, singing along with it. He sounded a lot like the guy that sang it.

   "Goodness, no..," Adam murmured. He was looking in the distance. Still confused, I followed his gaze. There was a group of girls looking our direction, pointing at Kris.

   "Ruel?" One girl shouted.

   "Is that Ruel?" Another yelled.

   "No way! It's him, guys! Let's go!" The first girl hollered. They all started to run in our direction. Adam quickly grabbed ahold of my hand. I let go of the bag and started to run down the beach with him dragging me.

   Kris and Giana followed beside us running as fast as possible.

   "They think you're Ruel?" I shouted in between breaths. I saw Kris nod.

   "It happens all the time!" He shouted back. I turned forward with wide eyes focusing on the ground as I ran. We got to the gang. When they saw us running they quickly followed, though they had no idea why they were running.

   I started to smile while listening to the fan girl-ing girls chasing us.

   "I'm not Ruel! I'm Kris!"