eighty | country club madness

F O S T E RG R A Y

F O S T E R
G R A Y

-friday after school
-banks's house

   I stepped out of Adam's bathroom with the softest towel wrapped around my body. I out of the room straight only his bedroom and headed to his nearly made bed where my pile of clothes were sitting for tonight, not expecting to see Adam there. When I saw him, my eyes widened. I grabbed the pile of clothes and ran back into the bathroom, slamming the door shut behind me with wide eyes.

   "I'm sorry!" He shouted. "I just came in here to get my tie, I'm so sorry!" He shouted.

   I slowly opened the door again, but popped my head out of the room to where he could hardly see me. He sent me an apologetic look, but my face softened.

   "I'm just glad it was you and not some random creep from the dorms," I responded. He chuckled.

   Tonight was the big dinner with the Ducks. Adam had let me come over and get ready at his house because he knew how uncomfortable I was with the showers at the dorms. I was grateful.

   I had no idea where his parents were, but both of his siblings were home and it was fun spending some time with the three of them together.

   I let out a small sigh and opened the door fully, clinging my towel to my body so that Adam couldn't see anything. I've seen him in a towel countless of times.

   Adam sent me a wide smile, "you look absolutely beautiful," he said with the most calming tone. I returned the smile.

   "Adam, I have mascara dripping down my face," I laughed. The boy shrugged his shoulders, grabbing a tie from his stash and walking over to me.

  "You're still beautiful," he smirked. He rested his fingers underneath my chin and lifted my head upwards. We gave each other a small kiss.

   "I love you," I told him. He kissed me once more.

   "I love you too," he responded. He pulled away from me and headed back to his bedroom door. He stopped in the open doorway. "I'm going to head back to my mom and dads bathroom and get ready. I'll give you some privacy. But I'll just be down the hall if you need me."

   I smiled wide and thanked the boy. Soon he was fine, leaving me alone in his room. I let out a happy sigh before heading back to his restroom and getting ready for tonight.

   Dinner was going great. Really. I sat between Adam and Coen, no surprise. Luis sat on the other side of Adam. I felt so awkward with Connie sitting across from me though.

She wouldn't stop looking at me and I couldn't stop thinking about the things she'd been saying I've done with my teammates. I wouldn't do that to myself.

   Coen glared right back at Connie, and a few of the other Ducks, letting them know that he hated each and every one of them and would destroy him the second he got the chance to.

   When dinner came closer to the end, Rick stood up to make a toast. I felt my smile grow. I glanced over at Adam excitedly.

   "On behalf of the Eden Hall Warrior Varsity State Champion Hockey team, I'd like to welcome the future state champs. The Eden Hall freshman." Rick rose his class in the air. I love that he was being so nice. "Here here."

   "Here here!" I grabbed my glass from the table and smashed it against Adam's. I let out a small awkward laugh once I heard it cling together.

   "We're just glad you loaned us Banksie and Foster so we have a chance to beat you in the annual Freshman/Varsity showdown," Rick continued.

   Something suddenly felt off. I glanced over at Adam confused only to see that his expression had dropped. I furrowed my eyebrows, but continued to listen to Rick talk.

  "Now, nobody move. We've got one last surprise. Fellas? Foster?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

   "Wait, I wanna stay, I wanna see the surprise!" Coen shouted.

   "Yeah, you didn't tell us about a surprise? Is it cake?" Scooter spoke up. Rick pulled the two up from their seats and dragged them out of the room. I looked at Adam with concern.

  "Let's go..," he sadly said. He grabbed ahold of my hand and pulled me up from the chair gently. What was going on? What was this surprise?

   "Adam?" I asked concerned as he rushed me out of the room. I didn't even have time to say goodbye to the Ducks, and I felt terrible.

   When we got out of the room, we were in the lobby. I tried to stop, however, Adam kept pulling me. I tried to free my wrist from his grip but he was too strong.

   "You're hurting me," I spit out with worry. He loosened his grip the slightest bit but still had control over me. Shortly we were in the cold night air. One by one, the varsity members got in their cars and sped off, yelling at each other with excitement.

  Adam, Scooter, Coen and I were left in front of the fancy country club, standing outside by the huge fountain.

   Adam let go of my wrist. I yanked it away from and looked at him in shock.

   "What's going on, Banks, why are you acting like this?" I said with anger. I felt bad for being so angry. Something was clearly wrong and I wasn't helping the case. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to get mad, but I just want to know what's going on. Is everything okay?"

   "Yeah, what was the surprise?" Coen asked. Adam sighed. He looked at us uneasily.

   "They didn't pay for dinner, okay? They told the Ducks not to bring money, but they left them the bill to pay for dinner," Adam explained to us. I felt my heart drop. I immediately ran back to the doors, but I felt Adam's touch. He placed his arms around me and pulled me away from the doors.

   "No, come on! I have like 30 bucks I can give them to help them! Please let me back in there," I begged. When I looked up at Adam, I saw him shake his head. I stopped struggling.

    "It's no use, Fos," Adam faintly responded. I sighed. The boy wrapped me into a tight hug.

   "I feel terrible. Why do people have to be so cruel like that? I don't understand? Why did I think this was going to be a simple dinner? Rick hates the other Ducks! He's not gonna pay for their dinner," I ranted. Adam started to rub small circles on my back with the tip of his finger.

   "What Portman would say: it's because people don't have their sunshine."