fifty two | three-ring hockey

F O S T E R G R A Y

F O S T E R
G R A Y

-team usa vs Iceland, game 2
-part 2

Charlie and I stood behind our teammates, eager to step onto the ice. The arena was packed to capacity with thousands of supporters waving American flags high in the air.

I could hardly hear myself think, the arena was so loud! It didn't help my head at all, but I didn't really have an option.

Dean has given me his phone and headphones so that I could listen to music and block out sound so the loud cheering didn't bother my head, which was really sweet of him. However, I could still hear the blaring cheers.

I was the last person to step onto the ice, Ms. MacKay by my side. She helped me carefully start to walk so I didn't fall. Of course I knew how to skate and how to balance, but my concussion made my balance off.

When I looked up away from the ice below me, I saw Adam skating to the two of us. He stopped in front of Ms. MacKay and I and squeezed between us.

He linked his arms with ours in a sweet way and slowly escorted us over the the bench. I could hear many people cheering in awe at his actions.

I looked up at the boy with a wide smile.

"Thank you, Adam," I sweetly said to him. He nodded his head.

"Of course. It my pleasure, truly," he responded. My heart melted.

   After the national anthem, we all gathered at the bench. I stood by Charlie behind the benches, my hands on my hips while I bounced on the tips of my toes. I was beyond nervous.

   Iceland was going to come at us harder than before . Sure we had the extra training, and we were ready, but I know Iceland trained just as hard. This was going to be a very interesting game.

   "Okay!" Coach Bombay said grabbing all of our attention. "Here we are. We made it here as a team, we're leaving here as a team."

   A small smile crept onto my face. He was right.

   "Yeah!" I heard my teammates cheer. Coach spoke up again.

   "Now, listen. I'm standing tall. Forget about yesterday. I don't want to play that way," he said bringing up last nights incident. I bit my lip nervously.

   "But, Coach, they hurt you," Dean defended. I nodded my head.

   "Yeah. He busted your knee again for no reason, Coach and we gotta fight back," I chimed in. I didn't want to, but Iceland deserved it. They were cheapskates.