one hundred | scholarships

↳ foster gray

foster gray

   THE NEXT DAY WE HAD AN AWAY GAME AGAINST A TEAM AN HOUR AWAY. Adam was going to meet us there with his siblings and possibly his mom, but his parents still weren't around much. It made my heart swell with joy that he was going to be there to support me. I was excited to play this game. I was back, and I was better, and I knew we were going to win this thing.

   I gathered onto the charter bus that the school had made specially for the JV Teams. It was nice, it was luxurious, and I was glad we got to use this bus instead of the horrid bright yellow school buses.

   As I stepped onto the bus, I sent the busdriver a small wave and a small smile. He seemed baffled by my actions, but responded with a smile as well. I walked further into the bus, traveling behind Guy with a confident smile on my face. After the other night on the court, I had hope of possibly rekindling some friendships.

  I felt Coach Orion tap my head in a playful manner, taking my attendance as I passed him. A small laugh escaped my mouth.

   "It's nice to have you back, Gray," he commented once I took a seat beside Guy, the boy letting me sit by the window. I beamed up at Coach Orion.

  "I'm glad to be back," I retorted. He nodded his head at me, turning away to continue taking roll. I glanced over at the blonde boy beside me who seemed nervous for the game. I lightly nudged him. "Hey, are you okay?" I questioned sincerely.

  He brought himself to look at me a nodded his head, "yes, of course, I'm alright," he insisted. I rose my eyebrows. He huffed, rolling his eyes.

  "Fine, I'm nervous for the game. I've been talking to this girl that goes to that school we're up against, her name is Laney, and we've never met in person before, only over facetime and such, but she's supposed to show up and I'm scared that I'm going to screw up," he vented solomely. I sent him a stern look.

   "Now, come on,  Germaine. You should've been on varsity. You're such an amazing player and in no way are you going to screw up. Have faith, mister. Do this for her, play your heart out for her," I said in hopes to get his spirits up. I saw a smile tug onto his face. He glanced down at his legs he pressed against the seat with a shy smile on his face.

   "I just want a relationship like yours and Adam's. You two are going to get married, and that's exactly what I want, and I feel as if Laney is that one for me," he admitted. My smile grew even more. I felt my heart melt.

   I sat up straight growing with ambition, "do you have a picture? What does she look like?" The boy laughed. He reached into his pocket for his phone. As he scrolled through the countless of photos he had, my eyes traveled to the front of the bus where I witnessed Charlie Conway himself step on. The bus became silent, everyone focusing on the returning boy. I gaped at him with amusement.

  "I wanna be on the team, Coach," Charlie faintly spoke. His voice was full with nervousness. I knew this was something he didn't want to do. The boy hated admitting his true feelings for something. He always had. "I wanna play two way hockey," he started to grin. "Can I come back?" he pleaded with hope.

   Coach Orion tipped his head at him, "take a seat, we're running late," he finally responded. The bus broke out into cheers. We had our captain back! We were all back aside from Adam, but I had a strong feeling that he'd be back soon.

   The sound of the song Colt 45 was heard playing loudly from the back of the bus from a speaker Goldberg had carried while Charlie walked down the aisle, earning high fives from our teammates. They were happier to have him back than me, but I was happier to have him back, He was the captain afterall. He brought this team together.

   Everyone started to go crazy at the song, earning a disapproving glare from Coach Orion who soon broke out into a smile. We listened to this song every bus ride, every game, so he grew used to it.

  "Said Colt 45, two zigzags, baby that's all we need! We can go to the park, after dark, smoke that tumbleweed!" I shouted at Guy beside me. He gazed at me full of shock.

  "You're singing this song?" He asked, clearly surprised. I smiled wide at him and nodded, "but, Frosty, you're so innocent!" I shrugged my shoulders.

  "I mean, yeah, but so is Baby Ken and we have him back there saying every dirty word in the song!" I defended myself. I suddenly heard the part of the song that I loved. I lightly smacked Guy with excitement. "See I met this woman from Hawaii! Stuck it in her—dirty word—and she said aiee!"

  The boy laughed at me. He suddenly brought his hand to my head and ruffled my hair.

  "You're adorable, and still the innocent Foster I know," he said to me. I smiled wide at the boy.

   Our fun was soon interrupted by Dean Buckley strutting onto the bus. It was clear that Coach Orion was annoyed. We were already running late as it is. He stood in front of us all, his hands on the seats on both sides of him. I could tell he wasn't here for a good reason.

   I grew nervous. I let out a shaky breath, adjusting myself in the seat I sat in. I quickly apologized to Guy after I bumped him, but turned my attention back to Coach and the Dean.

   "I almost missed you," Mr. Buckley spoke. He glanced at Coach Orion in the front seat, "mind if I have a few words with your boys?"

   "And girls!" Julie quickly piped up. I grinned.

  "Yes, of course, and girls," Mr. Buckley murmured. He turned back to Coach.

  Coach gazed at the man skeptically, "Yes, but make it quick, we're running late as it is," he hurriedly responded. The Dean nodded his head. He stepped forwards and further into the bus. I rose my eyebrows with curiosty, starting to fumble with the bracelet on my wrist Adam had given me awhile ago. I wished he was here right now.

   "This is important," Dean Buckley started, "We have a board meeting scheduled tomorrow and.., well you all are on the agenda," my stomach suddenly turned. What was he talking about? I looked at Guy confused. "We have to think long term here. What's in your best interest. As hard as it is for me personally, because you kids have been a breath of fresh air around here, the board is going to approve the withdraw of your scholarships. Now you'll be welcomed to stay until the end of the semester, but after that, it will be necessary for you to enjoy other educational opportunities."

   "Dean, I think I need a word with you," Coach Orion suddenly spoke with rage in his voice.

   "I said all I needed to say," Dean Buckely defended. Coach Orion stood up. He sent the older man a harsh glare, causing him to head off of the bus. My teammates quickly gathered at the windows. I sat in my seat with complete shock taking over.

   No more Eden Hall, no more hockey, no more amazing friends, no more Adam. I looked down at my hands with blurry vision. This couldn't have been happening, right? This was just a prank, right?

   I made great friends with my teammates and the varsity team and many kids around school. It was hard for me to say, but I loved it here. Free schooling was here, not in Wisconson. I'd be back with my friends, my family, but I was supposed to be here for four years, not half of a semester.

   A huff escaped my lips. I pulled my phone from the pocket of my jacket and dialed Krystals number. She was the one to talk to. She'd know what to do.