ninty eight | schoolyard fun

↳ foster gray

foster gray

WHAT FELT LIKE HOURS LATER, THE YELLING EVENTUALLY STOPPED. I heard the light footsteps that belonged to Adam walking up the stairs. It was weird to say, but it sounded like sad footsteps.

   My breathing hitched. I slowly sat up in the bed, my legs crossed over one another with a blanket I stole from Adam's bed wrapped around me.

   The door soon flew open. The boy turned his back to me, not even realizing I was sitting there. I pushed all of my emotions away quickly and forced a serious look on my face.

   Adam eventually turned around. He was shocked when he saw me sitting there, and I could tell he was happy to see me but at the moment that was hard for him to show. I scooted over on the bed slightly and patted the empty spot beside me. The boy huffed.

   He slowly dragged his tired body over to the bed, falling onto his back beside me. He immediately rested his head on my lap, staring up at me with his eyes closed and placing his arms on his stomach.

   I brought my hands to his head, moving his soft bangs out of his face and messing with his hair. I knew it calmed him down. It always did.

   "I'm sorry I'm such an emotional person," he softly spoke as I saw a tear fall down the side of his face. A frowned formed on my lips.

   "Don't be sorry, Adam, things happen," I responded making sure my tone was calm and supportive so he felt safe. He stayed silent, keeping his eyes shut. "Do you want to talk about whatever happened down there?" I asked him. He slightly sighed, yet shook his head.

   "No, I'm sorry," he quietly answered. "I just, I want to tell you something," he requested. I nodded my head skeptically with confusion.

   "Yeah, of course, go ahead," I told him. He sighed once more. It took him awhile to find the words he wanted to say, but he eventually did.

   "I'm sorry I scare you when I get mad. I don't mean to, sincerely," he started, "I just, I get violent when I'm angry because of my dad.., it's all defense because there's many times when I have to protect myself from him and I just grew into doing that...," he trailed off. I wiped away another fallen tear from his eye with my thumb, listening to what the boy had to say. "I love my dad to pieces, princess, I really do, but he's really making me angry and upset. I want to smile again, I want to laugh again, I don't want to worry about all of this that's going on. It's crazy."

   He let his hands fall to his sides and he remained quiet like he had nothing else left to say. I heard him let out a shaky breath.

   "Adam?" I softly questioned. He kept his eyes shut. I knew he was listening, however, I wanted to make sure he saw me. "Adam, please look at me."

   He finally opened his eyes. He gazed up at me sideways from where he laid. He eventually slowly sat up so that he could actually face me. I reached for his hands.

   "You're going to be okay, chump, I promise you. Whatever happens, I'll be right here by your side. You're going to get through this no matter what. Things between you and your father will calm down. I know you love him. He loves you too. You both are going through some things at the moment so things are a little chaotic, but I do promise you that next year on this day, it'll all be over," I assured him. My tone was soothing, my voice was faint.

   I stared into his eyes with my grip tightly on his hands.

   "And I hope that you're there too," he spoke. A weak smile formed on my face. I nodded my head sadly.

   "Of course I will be," I said. He smiled as well.

   "I love you," he whispered. I leaned forwards and placed a small kiss on his adorable little button nose.

   "I love you too," I answered. My phone suddenly buzzed from beside me on the bed. I quickly glanced down seeing a message from the Ducks groupchat. When I read the message, my smile grew. I glanced back up at Adam. "Do you want to go do something to get things off of your mind?"

   He slowly started to grin, "go back to your dorm and make out?" He asked with hope. I jokingly rolled my eyes knowing the boy was just messing around. He was very cute at doing so though. I shook my head.

   "Maybe later.., but go grab your skates. We're going to play some old school puck."

I skated down the court as fast as I could, the ball we used as a puck at the end of my stick. I was dominating everyone. I wasn't sure if they were letting me win because of them all feeling terrible for everything that had been going on, or if my skills had actually improved from all of the hard work Coach Wilson made me do.

   I neared the trash can laying on its side on the ground that we used as a goal. I started to stick handle, but as soon as I was inches away from the can, I shot the ball in. I soared into the can leaving a loud ringing noise from the impact the aluminum had on it.

I threw my arms up with excitement, a smile on my face. I was pulled into a celly with Guy, Adam, Luis and Ken. I heard the rest of my teammates cheering for me.

Things were definitely different. It was a good kind of different. Things felt nice for one.

"Hey look! It's Coach Bombay and Charlie!" I heard Dwayne shout. We all pulled away from each other. I turned to face the fence where I saw Coach and Charlie. I grew excited. I started to wave my arms around for them to come join us.

"What are y'all waiting for!" I shouted, "let's go! We have extra sticks for you both!" Both boys exchanged glances before breaking into a sprint onto the court, trying to beat each other. My heart swelled with happiness. Not only was Charlie a happy and different person, i could tell Adam was in a better mood by the sweet and genuine smile plastered on his face it was so cute.

Nothing else could possibly go wrong, could it?

A/N:

hey yall! thank you so much for 40k, I really appreciate it! I might published one more chapter before I go through all of the chapters and edit and add a few things possibly, but I will continue to write the next chapters. thank you all for the constant love and support <3

-bri :)