123 | morning madness

𝐅𝐨𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐆𝐫𝐚𝐲𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 123"MORNING MADNESS"

𝐅𝐨𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐆𝐫𝐚𝐲
𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 123
"MORNING MADNESS"
..⃗.🕊•̩̩͙⁺゜ ⤾·˚ ༘ ◡̈

The sound of my blaring alarm rang through my ears, filling my small bedroom that was already filled with the glowing morning sun. The room was rather large for the apartment I lived in, but at the same time, the apartment was practically a pent house. I honestly think it was.

I didn't own it. Rick Riley did. But I helped him pay the bills, as did our other roommates. Like I said, it was a large building.

I was 25, graduated from Baylor pretty early and the top of my class, flew through my intern years and residency and passed my boards with flying colors. I worked with Rick at a nearby hospital, the two of us attendings and chief of surgeries where were specialized. I was Chief of Trauma Surgery while Rick was orthopedic. The both of us living our dreams.

I silence the sound of my alarm letting a loud groan slip my lips. I didn't want to get out of my warm bed. After a long night last night, I was still exhausted and overwhelmed but by the chaos I could already hear coming from the kitchen, I knew I could no longer sleep anymore.

I slowly pushed the covers off of my body. I swung my feet onto the floor feeling my warm feet hit the warm carpet. A happy sigh slipped from my mouth. Maybe the day wouldn't be so bad after all.

After grabbing a shower and changing into some casual clothes, I grabbed the packed bag with my work belongings I had packed last night from my door side and made my way out into the kitchen where everyone was already dressed and ready for the day.

   "Hey, Frosty the Beastman finally woke up! She's ready for the day to make an interns life miserable and save someone's else life!" Laughter escaped my mouth once I had entered the kitchen, seeing my roommates scattered all around. Rick, who had spoken, was making a fresh pot of coffee at the counter. I set my bag on the couch right beside the kitchen and then took a seat at the table where everyone else had been sitting. There were six of us: Me, obviously, Rick, also obviously, Grace Pensei—yes red head Grace, giant Grace, point place Grace, Coen Wright—Eden Hall Coen, yup, Julie Gaffney—uhhu, she was alright now, and lastly, Rick's fiancé Elizabeth who we all hated but she still stuck around.

Beside me at the table was Grace. She looked the same. However, her hair was redder. She was still with Isaac and was still stubborn, but she was Grace and we loved her. She worked at the call center for 911. No day for her was ever a good day but she always had a smile on her face no matter what.

On the other side of me was Coen. He was an anesthesiologist. Started late, but there was nothing wrong with it. He spent his first few years of college partying but he finally got serious and settled down. He was serious about his job, however, he spent most of his free time trying to get with the nurses and other doctors in on call rooms. So, it was basically like high school still.

Across from me was Julie. We don't talk a lot. I still don't have a lot of trust in her. I know things have changed and we were all older now, but I've seen the way she treats other people and like I said, things were still like high school. She was an RN and had an army of nurses behind her and could ruin everyone's life any chance she got. So, I kept to myself and stayed silent around her most of the time.

Lastly, there was Elizabeth. She was worse than Julie and Connie combined in California. We were all positive she was after Rick for the money and we tried to look out for him but he was love struck. I told him that if he was happy, then he was happy, but there were times he had came to me and said he wanted to leave but didn't know how. The next day, things would always get better but then it'd go back to the drama. I told him that whatever choice he makes I'll be there for him. We've been stuck together since I was eighteen and I wasn't going to leave him any time soon.

"Phew!" Coen obnoxiously yelled, rubbing his stomach like he had just ate a horse. The funny part was that he was a vegetarian which was surprising for Coen himself. "I can smell that today is going to be a busy day."

I rolled my eyes but instantly agreed with him. There was a certain feeling we'd all get on those kind of days, and just by the start of it, Coen was definitely right.

"As long as there isn't some teenager coming in with his lips stuck in his girlfriends braces, I think today will be good," Rick commented while he cleaned up his mess at the sink.

I laughed. There were many crazy stories from our times at work. Some of them are so crazy you wouldn't even think are true but sadly they were. There were some crazy and scary moments, even times where I had been hurt just trying to help patients out. Bay Regional Medical Center was one of the largest hospitals in the state with some of the best surgeons in the world which included Rick and I. We've been nominated for several awards, but both of us always dropped out knowing we'd never win. Maybe sometime we'd try to win.

    "I want something amazing to happen, like, a mass accident, or a bear attack or something!" I added with pride and joy and amusement. I gained concerned glares from everyone around. That's when I realized what I said. "Oh!" I paused, "not.., not like that! I want a big surgery something where I can knock Chief Tyler off of his feet, or something that'll challenge me. I just want a big surgery, that's all."

    I felt myself relax as I drank a large cup of steaming coffee. I knew I'd finish it in an instant and buy like twelve other cups from the hospital.

   Silence filled the room. It was peaceful like usual and we all kept our mouths shut and enjoyed the sound of the wind coming from outside. It was winter after all. Snow was falling which was kind of rare for Texas, even if we were more north. It was nice. It reminded me of home.

    All of a sudden, the sound of many pagers started to ring. At an instant we all shot up from our seats and rushed out the door for another hectic day at work.