128 | code blue

𝐅𝐨𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐆𝐫𝐚𝐲𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 128"CODE BLUE"

𝐅𝐨𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐆𝐫𝐚𝐲
𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 128
"CODE BLUE"
..⃗.🕊•̩̩͙⁺゜ ⤾·˚ ༘ ◡̈

    Today was the day I was finally allowed to discharge Adam from the hospital. After several tests and scans I had to put him through I'm sure he felt relief as well to finally be out of here, but I knew he would stick around for baby girls sake. So she wasn't alone while I was working.

It was late in the afternoon. Baby was in the nursery and Adam was gathering things up in his room. I just checked up on all of my patients with my resident Coop and his group of interns doing occasional check ups. And I didn't have any surgeries scheduled until later in the day. So I was free for the moment being but at anytime my pager could go off.

I eventually found my way to Adam's room with two sprites and two chocolate bars from the hospital's vending machine. I haven't had the chance to eat all day and chocolate was the one thing I was looking forward to. Something about the cheap stuff the hospital kept in the bend machines hit different, I wasn't sure why.

   "Good morning, Adam!" I cheerfully greeted the tall boy as I entered his room. He stood by his bad, finishing packing the last of his stuff into his bag. When he saw me, he smiled wide.

   "Good morning, Foster. Looking beautiful as usual," I felt my cheeks turn warm at his words. I playfully rolled my eyes and tossed him his drink and the chocolate bar. He caught them effortlessly.

   "Seven years, and you're still the biggest flirt," I teased him. The boy sent me a charming grin and a small wink. He shrugged his shoulders and took a seat on his bed, patting the empty spot beside him. I walked over to him and took a seat, getting myself comfortable and situated. I sprawled my legs out in front of us, intertwining my legs with his in a sense. A huge smile was plastered on my face. Everything was going back to normal. I had Adam Banks back. Sure we weren't dating or anything, but I knew it wasn't just me that could feel the spark never left.

"Only when it comes to you," he softly said, placing the smallest and most gentle kiss on my temple. I smiled even more. "Any update on baby girl? You know, I was thinking we should name her Edna, or Karen, or even Petunia!"

I looked up at him unsurely. As much as I wanted to laugh at the silly names he had picked out, I just felt my heart break. A small sigh slipped my lips. I looked down at my lap.

"Adam, look-" I started full of regret.

"-don't worry, I'm still coming up with names, you don't have to worry about it!" He quickly quipped. I stayed silent with a frown on my face. When the boy noticed. He stopped. "There's bad news, of course there is," the tone in his voice grew annoyed. I didn't know if he was annoyed with this whole situation or me, but either way, I felt terrible. He looked away from me. "Tell me. Give it to me straight forward," he raised his voice, clearly angry. I set my belongings on the tray by the bed and stood up slowly, heading the the end of the bed and gazing at Adam. He soon followed my actions but stood at the top of his bed away from me.

   "Look, it's going to take months until we can officially adopt her, if we can, Adam. I've been through the foster system before. It's not easy to adopt a child!" I defended, tears forming in my eyes from pure annoyance with this entire situation as well. "And it'll be months until we can have a say on any of this either and take legal actions. The system, they have to work everything out with the father still," I paused, moving my hair behind my ear and crossing my arms over my chest. I looked down at my converse that I wore on a daily. I bit my lip and then looked back up. "There's going to be a lot of court dates because of baby girls father to sort out custody, wether he's taking her, or CYS is taking her-"

   "Can you do something about it?" He snapped, "that man has no right to keep baby girl after what he's done! She's in danger as long as she stays with him!" He flew his arms in the air as he spoke. I felt bad. He was angry, but he had every right to be. We both had every right to be.

   "Adam, look!" I quickly spoke up before he could say anything else. "I have as much power in this as you do: none. The only thing we can do is sit back a pray for a miracle to happen. Right now, our chances of adopting her are slim to none, but if her father loses custody of her and she goes with CYS, then we'll have a great chance, but the system is screwed up so we can get our hopes up. You know how it was with me. My mom always putting drugs before me after my father passed away. She never lost custody of me," a frown formed on my face. I looked back down at my shoes, "all the court dates, the custody battles, she kept me as much as she didn't want to. And then she abounded me, and then she no longer wanted to be my legal guardian and out of that, I got a totally amazing mother and another awesome father so this could work out any way. We have to have hope with this, Adam, we can't stand around being sad about this!"

   I gazed at the boy across the room with hard eyes, stared of what he was going to say. When I saw a single tear fall down his face and him turning away to quickly hide it, my expression softened. A small breath escaped my lips. I slowly walked over to Adam, and when I got to him, I wrapped him into the biggest hug possible. He hugged me back tightly and rested his chin on the top of my head. We stayed like that for a good few minutes until my pager went off. I quickly backed away and glanced down at it. Before I even had the chance to read what it had said, CODE BLUE was announced of the intercom. My breath automatically hitched.

  "What's wrong?" Adam asked in a panic.

  "Oh no, oh no, oh no!" I cried. I looked back up Adam as I backed away fast. "It's mine and Rick's patient in Peds! I've- I've got to go!"

   Before Adam could say anything else, I bolted out of the room and took off down the hall. This wasn't going to be good.