twenty three | it's knuckle puck time

foster gray

foster gray

-streets of California
-an hour before the game

I skated down the street as fast as I could to the court my teammates had went to play some street puck with a few guys in the neighborhood.

My friends ran behind me as fast as they could, Isaac carrying all of my things. They all said he was the 'weakest' so they made him carry everything.

I got to the court, opening the small gate and headed inside while my friends stayed against the fence and watched.

I skated to my teammates in the bench.

"Are you sure you should be playing?" Charlie asked me once he noticed me. I gave him a smile a nodded.

"My doctor said I'm good to play again, but Coach wants to wait awhile longer. Besides, I don't think anyone here will be me up," I joked. Charlie let out a small laugh.

"I'm in next. You want to take my spot?" He questioned. I shrugged.

"If you're okay with it," I responded. He nodded his head, "thank you, Charlie."

I took a seat in the bench, watching the game. I had no idea who was winning, or even who these people were that we were playing against.

"Ew, why are they here?" I looked at Fulton as he spoke, who looked at my friends in disgust. I gave him a small smile, realizing that a few of his friends from back home were here too.

"My friends? Oh, they just wanted to watch us, just like I assume your friends do..?" I told him. His face turned red and he became quiet.

Suddenly, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I looked over to see Luis smiling at me.

"You're in, go, go, go!" He happily told me. I smiled, quickly jumping into the game. I heard my friends cheering for me which caused me to smile even more.

I saw one of the players on the opposing team with the puck, heading my way. I started to skated backwards towards the goal.. or garbage can.

He got close to me. I hurriedly took the puck away from the blade of his stick and skated forward with it.

My teammates skated behind me. Out of no where, behind me, someone placed their hands on my back and pushed me forward into the fence. I fell to the ground in pain, hearing my helmet scrape against the cement, but I quickly got up. I picked my stick up from the ground and looked around, seeing Dwayne with the puck.

I angrily looked at the back of his head. I knew it was him that shoved me. I heard people yelling at him with rage while some of my teammates praised him. Kids on the other team were even screaming at him.

I jumped back into the game. Someone from the other team had the puck. I snuck past him and grabbed it with my stuck. I quickly skated forward again, checking behind me to see if anyone was coming. I got close to the goal and took my shot. It went in.

I threw my hands up in the air and cheered, but no one was there cheering with me. I looked down sadly. A few boys from the other team came up to me.

"Hey, I'm Brandon, and I have to say, that was a killer shot, Foster!" He told me. He was a taller guy, thin and wore two long sleeve shirts. I didn't get how he could do it. I was sweating without my sweatshirt on.

"Heck yeah! The way you jumped back in after that dill hole pushed you, amazing!" Another guy spoke. I'm pretty sure this kids name was Russ. I gave them both a smile.

"Thanks guys," I told them.

The other guy looked at me concerned, "why did he do that though? I've been watching everyone at the games. Why are they all dill holes toward you?"

I shrugged, "it's probably my fault anyways. I must've done something wrong when I first met them."

I felt Luis's presence behind me.

"You didn't do anything wrong. They're just assholes. Connie was rude to you the first time you met but you were super nice to her. They all were," he defend. I gave him a small smile.

"Look," Brandon spoke up. I turned my attention back to him, "if they're gonna be like that, show them you're better than them. You are better than them. From what I see, you're the nicest person ever. Even in those interviews, which I only see you getting. You've got all of those friends over there cheering for you, and I see that everyone back home is rooting for you."

    I smiled to myself. I looked behind me at my friends, seeing Lucas and Kade wrestling on the ground, Kade holding his eye like he always did when this happened.

   The others ignored them and watched the game.

    "She is the nicest person you'll ever meet," Luis said, "she makes breakfast for us everyone morning even when she's having a bad day."

    I smiled again, "thank you guys, I really appreciate your kindness that I don't deserve," I slightly laughed.

     We shortly got back to the game. This time, I sat on the bench beside Adam, watching Ken fly through everyone without a problem. Ken was adorable.

    I started to cheer him on.

Ken suddenly made a goal. I threw my hands up in the air.

"Yeah, Ken!" I shouted. I watched him cheer with our teammates in excitement.

"Sweet moves, kid!" Brandon told him, skating closer to him. His face then went blank, and he started charging towards Ken, "aw, you done messed up now... come here! I'm gonna get you!"

Ken started skated backwards as Brandon skated forward. I got up from the bench and went behind Ken. What was this kid doing?

He came to a stop. Both of them. He looked at Ken with a smile. My confused look stayed in my face.

"I'm just messin' with you," Brandon laughed, "okay, listen, when a guy comes at you like I just did, you do this," he paused and looked up at me, "you watching this, Miss. Gray? For the dill holes?"

    I let out a small laugh and nodded. Brandon turned his attention back to Ken.

    "Stick," he threw his stick to his side, followed by his gloves, "gloves..," he grabbed ahold of Ken, and the back of his shirt, pulling it over his head, or attempting to, "shirt."

    He pulled away from Ken with a goofy grin on his face.

     "Okay, my turn," Ken teased. He followed the same actions as Brandon, "all right?"

    We all erupted with laughter. I gently placed my arm around Kens neck and ruffled his hair. He laughed, trying to push me. I pulled away when I heard a honk.

    All of us turned to the bus that sat at the corner. It was time for the game.