sixty four | freshman year

F O S T E R G R A Y

F O S T E R
G R A Y

-eden hall academy dorms
-the next day

   It was so great to reunite with half of the Ducks, the ones that were stuck at the dorm with me. I missed them so much, and enjoyed their hugs. It sucked that Portman wasn't here.

   They all had changed so much. We grew up over the summer greatly, especially Ken. I knew girls were going to be all over the boy.

   My arm was around Ken's waist, his arm around my shoulders, as we walked down the crowded sidewalk outside of the dorms.

   We were meeting with the rest of the ducks at the assembly, making small talk as we walked.

The campus reminded me more of an elite university than a high school. The ginormous brick buildings were covered in ivy, and capped with magnificent domes. The grass was so green that it looked like turf and not real gras. It was insane.

"Wow!" Dwayne remarked from behind Ken and I with Luis beside him.

"We're not in Kansas anymore," Russ added from in front of me with Julie by his side. His comment made me chuckle. The scenery was beautiful.

"You smell that?" Luis asked us. I furrowed my eyebrows. "That's money."

I laughed once again and rolled my eyes jokingly, exchanging glances with Ken.

"I think this place is running very low on the brother quotient," Russ spoke up again. I let out a small breath. He wasn't wrong.

"Tell me about it," Ken told him. I looked around at our surroundings some more. This didn't feel real at all.

"I want to know who this new Coach Orion is," Julie said. "My dad said if I didn't like him I could come right home."

I furrowed my eyebrows, "that's his name?" I questioned. "It sounds so familiar..," I trailed off. I didn't exactly know what I'd do if I didn't like this Coach. I mean, I'd probably just deal with it since we were here on scholarship.

Russ snorted, "that's nice. My dad said I'd better keep my scholarship or he'd whip my butt."

I felt intimidated. I knew they did too. It as the same old feeling we all had when we first joined the team: they're all better than me.

We stumbled upon a group of students marching in a small circle, carrying signs and chanting. I noticed that one of the signs had an Indian Warrior with a red circle and a slash through it.