sixty seven | first practice

F O S T E RG R A Y

F O S T E R
G R A Y

-eden hall academy
-afternoon

A content smile was plastered on my face as I jumped down the school's stairs, Charlie by my side, as we headed to our last and final class of the day, P.E.

School hadn't been as bad as I thought it would've been. People were actually nice aside from the upperclassmen. I hated how they always teased us freshman, it was stupid.

"Hey, Charls, wait up!" I called to the boy who was a little bit ahead of me. He had longer legs, and wasn't as clumsy as I was, so of course he was further than I was.

When I reached the bottom of the stairs and made it to Charlie, a girl had stopped him. I recognized her as the same girl from this morning that rejected Luis.

Charlie was absolutely in a daze, like it was love at first sight for him. A smile grew on my face. I hung out by the staircase, pretending to read a poster on the wall just so I could listen to the conversation. I believed it was love at first sight even if the girl didn't realize it.

"Will you sign a petition?" The girl asked, seeming sweeter than she had been earlier. A few noises came out of Charlie's mouth, causing me to laugh.

"Uh, yeah," he stumbled over his own words as he spoke. I hid my laughter. "Sure, whats it for?"

"We're demanding the board change the demeaning Warrior name," she informed him. Yup. Knew it. It found it cool how she was standing up for what she believed in. It was sweet.

"Well, Warrior isn't so bad, is it?" Charlie asked. I mentally slapped my head. I didn't know the basics of flirting, but I knew that wasn't it. "I mean, you've got the Indians, The Braves, The Redskins, Blackhawks."

Charlieeeeeeee!

"You're a jock, aren't you?" She asked, still using her sweet tone. She sounded disappointed in a way. I quickly glanced back at the two seeing Charlie nod his head proudly.

"Yeah, I play hockey!" He informed her. "In fact, I'm the captain of the new JV team," he bragged to her. I bit my lip nervously before turning my view back to the poster.

"Forget about it," she laughed. "All you Warrior jocks stick together."

I heard her start to walk away. I turned back around and headed to Charlie again who's eyes were glued to the girl.

"But I'm not a Warrior, I'm a Duck!" He shouted after her. I sighed. I gazed up at Charlie with a small frown.

"Is that the future Mrs. Conway I see?" I teased the boy as the both of us started walking again. He playfully rolled his eyes.