133 | subtle hints

𝐅𝐨𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐆𝐫𝐚𝐲𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 133"SUBTLE HINTS"

𝐅𝐨𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐆𝐫𝐚𝐲
𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 133
"SUBTLE HINTS"
..⃗.🕊•̩̩͙⁺゜ ⤾·˚ ༘ ◡̈

  Tonight had to be the perfect night. I was making dinner for Adam to tell him the bigs news, so everything had to be perfect. The food, the drinks, the set up, although boxes were still scattered all over the apartment floor. At least the dinning room area was cleaned up where we could have a beautiful candlelit dinner by the very open beautiful windows giving us an outlook on the town. It was breathtaking.

I had spent all afternoon preparing for dinner and I should've known Adam was going to come early to help but at the same, I didn't expect it. My mind was so full and I was so nervous to tell Adam, but I was excited. We were adopting Gabriella and we were having a baby of our own! Just the thought of it gave me massive butterflies. It could've been a mix of the typical nausea as well, but I definitely knew that feeling in my stomach was mostly butterflies.

So, since Adam had came early, he decided to help me with the spaghetti dinner. It reminded me of old times, the two of us cooking dinner in my kitchen for the family, or at his house for his family. Just like on the ice and in a relationship, the two of us worked together perfectly and made the perfect team.

   "Foster!" Adam hollered from the other side of the kitchen where the oven had been. I stopped what I had been doing at the fridge and turned around to see the boy pulling a bag of buns out of the oven that I had put there in hopes to hint to him the special news I told him I had. He held up the bag and looked at me with a confused face. I grew nervous and bit my lip. "Why the hell did you put these in the oven?" He laughed. My heart dropped the slightest bit. A let out a small breath. That didn't work.

   I wiped my sweaty palms on the apron I wore and shrugged my shoulders, "just to heat them up for dinner, that's all," I nervously laughed in response. Adam smiled. He placed the bag of buns on the counter and dug out a dish to put them in.

   "Yeah, but in the bag?" He snickered, "the plastic would melt and then we'd have no more buns!" He defended. I forced out another small laugh. I turned back to what I was doing.

   "Hey, what can I say?" I joked back. My smile faded when he could no longer see me. If he was going to be this oblivious, then I knew he wouldn't pick up on all of the other hints I had planned for the night. I knew for sure that this was going to be a long night.

I closed the refrigerator door and made my way towards Adam by the stove, my hand on my stomach. The boy didn't seem to notice at all. He wasn't even paying attention, just to the food we were making. When I realized he wasn't in fact paying attention to me, I sighed. How could I tell him without actually telling him?

"Dinners just about done," Adam softly said from beside me. I looked up at him. Had he even noticed I'd been quiet all night? Or that I haven't touch the bottle of wine that was sitting on the table that I'd usually have gone by now? Was he really even paying that much attention? "Do you want to grab some plates and set the table?" He asked me. I nodded my head and smiled. He smiled in return.

I turned away from the boy with my lips sealed shut like I had made a promise to someone about keeping a secret, but there was nothing to hide. Of course I was going to tell Adam, but if he didn't pick up on the hints by time we sat down to actually eat, well then I'd actually have to tell him myself.

I took my apron on and set it over one of the at stools at the island. I walked over to the cabinets that held the plates and grabbed three of them instead of two. Maybe that could get him thinking, but at the same time, the rate this was going, I doubted it. As I walked past Adam with the plates in my hands, he stopped me.

"Wait, you accidentally grabbed an extra one. Here, let me take it," he politely said taking the top plate off of the pile. I wanted to roll my eyes so bad right now so instead I cured to myself in my head. How was he not picking up on these things!

"Sorry, must not have been paying attention," I mumbled quiet enough for him to hear. I walked past him again and to the table where I placed the plates across from each other like on a real date.

"Maybe you should lay off on the wine a little, Fos," Adam attempted to joke. I forced a laugh out of my mouth. I turned around and faced him again while shrugging my shoulders.

"Funny, I actually haven't had any tonight," I told him as he took the spaghetti off of the stove. He probably didn't even hear what I said. He quickly walked passed me and to the table with the steaming food in his hands. I shrugged the thought off and smiled at the smell of the food. I quickly followed Adam into the dinner room. He had put food on both of our plates and now stood at my chair, holding it out for me. I grinned. I walked to my chair and took a seat, Adam pushing it in for me. I thanked the man who was being quite a gentleman. Seconds later he took a seat across from me. We both began to dig in, enjoying the food we both had made.

"So," he started as we ate, "how'd that doctors appointment go the other morning you said you had? Have you been feeling any better?" He questioned. I shook my head. The time was now or never.

"The appointment went good actually. It wasn't the eggs, thank goodness, and I don't feel any better," I admitted with a tone in my voice the told him I was trying to say something.

"You still don't feel good? Did they ever figure out what it wa-" he paused. He set his silverware down and furrowed his eyebrows. He then stood up from his chair and went back to the kitchen. I peered through the hall and saw the boy at the oven, holding up the bag the buns had once been in. Then, he headed over to the cabinet with the plates and grabbed the extra one I had picked up. And lastly, he headed to the island where the empty wine glass sat that hadn't been touched at all. He looked puzzled. He started to mumble things to himself while the expression on his face faded and he looked more upset than anything. I grew highly disappointed in myself. The boy stormed to the door full of silence. He threw it open and eventually just walked out. My heart fell to my feet. I screwed this all up, didn't I?

I threw the napkin I had in my hands onto the table full of defeat. I couldn't believe this. He finally figured it out and he just walks out? Why would he do that? I truly thought this all would turn out right like I had always imagined. We were adopting Gabriella and we were having a baby of our own! Starting a family like we always dreamed of, but maybe it wasn't what we wanted after all. After all, he just le-

Suddenly I heard yelling outside. I rushed to the windows in the living room and was quick to open it full of panic, worrying that something had been wrong. When I got the window open, I peaked over the ledge and saw Adam below in the snowy streets hugging random people that passed.

"I'm having a baby!" He shouted at the top of his lungs over and over again. A wide smile crept onto my lips. "I'm having a baby!" He yelled again. A small laugh slipped my lips. So I may have totally overreacted there for a second, but in my defense, even though I'm only a month along, my emotions were a crazy mess! Soon enough Adam came running back inside into the warm building.

When he made it back to the apartment, he shut the door behind him and came straight to me. He gently lifted me up from the ground in a hug and began to spin me with his lips pressed against mine. When he pulled away, he set me down on the island top. I bit my lip. He didn't seem upset about this at all.

"We're gonna have a baby," he said with tears in his eyes. I brought my hands upwards and placed them on his cheeks, holding his face tightly while I cried with him. He suddenly let out a small laugh. I wiped away his tears with the tips of my thumbs. "I guess now would be a good time to ask you to be my girlfriend," he said. My smile grew even more. I nodded my head with much excitement and wrapped my arms around his neck into yet another hug. I could hold him all night. He was excited. We both were excited. We were starting our own little family. We were living the dream.