eighty five | the times are changing

F O S T E RG R A Y

F O S T E R
G R A Y

"Foster, dear, I just wanted to thank you for helping me all of these nights. It's greatly appreciated," Hans said to me as he dried the dirty dishes I made a mess on for his dinner. One by one I handed him clean plates I had just washed. We listened to the Ducks game together on the radio, which wasn't going the greatest. While I was making dinner, Charlie had stopped by, but he left out of anger with something. I couldn't believe he left the team.

I looked over at Hans and nodded my head sending him a comforting smile.

"Of course. I know it's nice to have company and to have someone there," I admitted, draining the dirty water from the sink. He let out a small cough, which sparked worry at me. When he noticed my reaction, he laughed.

"Honey I'm fine, I swear. I still have many years left on Earth," he said to me. A small smile formed on my face. I grabbed a towel from the counter and dried my hands and the now wet counters. "It is nice to have company. My wife passed away five years ago, my kids are all of with their own families, it's it's been lonely but I always have either you, Charlie, or Gordon walking through the doors. Of course you always knock first, which I'm reminding you again, you don't have to," be teased me.

I let out a small laugh, "it just feels like the respectful thing to do," I grinned. Hans leaned against the counter. I suddenly stuck my hands out in front of him. "Grab my hands," I told him. He sent me a confused look but nodded his head. He placed his fragile hands on top of mine. I gently grabbed him so I didn't hurt him. I bowed my head and shut my eyes. "Think, O' God," I started, "of our friend who is ill, whom we now commend to Your compassionate regard. Comfort him upon his sickbed, and ease his suffering. We beg for deliverance, and submit that no healing is too hard if it be Your will. We therefore pray that You bless our friend with Your loving care, renew his strength, and heal what ails him in Your loving name, amen."

"Amen."

I slowly opened my eyes. When I looked back up, I saw Hans smiling widely with a tear falling from his eye.

"Never be someone you're not, Foster, because you're a true blessing on this Earth," he said to me, his voice fainter than ever. I sent him a sad smile. I knew his time was coming, and I knew I'd never be prepared for it.

He removed his hands from mine and started to walk out of the kitchen.

"I'm going to go get the last dish, okay? I'll be back," he told me. I slightly smiled and nodded my head. I turned back around to the sink and started to clean more things up once he left the room.

   I had enjoyed my night with Hans. I enjoyed the long talks with him and I loved getting advice from him. Hans was one of my favorite people on Earth and I was so glad to have someone like him in my-

  -CRASH!

   I felt my eyes widen. What in the world was that?

   "Hans?" I called out. I didn't get a response. "Hans!" I now shouted. Still nothing. I broke out into a sprint out of the kitchen. I walked down the hall to where we had dinner, only to see food splattered everywhere. My eyes widened. That's when I saw Hans laying on the floor. My heart dropped and started to beat fast. I quickly ran to Hans on the floor, falling to the ground at his side. He wasn't breathing. My breath hitched. I immediately pulled out my phone and called 911. I looked back at Hans and grabbed his hand with tears streaming down my face. "This isn't the end, Hans, this isn't the end."

I was shaken awake by someone while I slept in the uncomfortable chairs in the hospital waiting room. When I opened my eyes, I saw Coach Bombay standing there with a frown on his face.

"Coach," I gasped. I got up from my seat and wrapped the man into a tight hug, feeling tears start to fall down my face. Coach Bombay hugged me back tightly. I was so happy to see him, especially right now. The both of us pulled away and sat back down on the chairs.

"Have you heard anything from doctor?" He asked me. I shook my head while wiping away my tears.

"No, nothing yet. It's been almost three hours and I haven't heard anything," I informed him. He nodded his head.

"Is it okay if I ask what happened? I understand if you don't want to talk about it," I gave him a small smile. That was sweet.

"Ever since he started to get sick I've been visiting him and making him dinner and helping clean his house and the store since he was physically unable to. I went today after school and we were cleaning up dinner, he went to go get the last plate, but I should've been the one to grab it. This wouldn't have happened if I went to get it! I should've jumped in and got it myself, but I didn't. He fell, and when I reached him, he was hardly breathing," I explained. My gaze turned down to my lap.

I should've grabbed the plate. He should've been resting. Now I have to live with the fact that my selfish action put him in the hospital and I feel terrible.

"Foster, don't blame this on yourself. Please don't, this is not your fault. Things happen, okay? Hans is going to be alright. He's a fighter," he assured me. I sent him a small smile and nodded my head, wrapping the man into another tight hug.

We were interrupted by a sweet voice. Pulling away and looking to where the voice came from, we saw a doctor standing in front of us with an exhausted look on her face. She peels the masks off of her face and pulled he gloves off. However, she didn't speak.

I stood up from my chair and glanced at Coach Bombay nervously before looking back over at the woman.

"Are you family of Hans?" She questioned. I shook my head.

"No, but we always looked after him. His family isn't.. around," Coach explained. The woman nodded. She sent us a sad look.

"We.., we tried everything we could, and I'm sorry to inform you that he didn't make it. He passed the moment he hit that floor."

My heart dropped to the floor. This was my fault. Hans was dead because of me! My view shifted over to Coach Bombay. He lost it. He started to cry uncontrollably while the doctors comforted him.

I felt burning tears form in my eyes but I held them back. I need to be strong. I swallowed the hard lump in my throat, pulling my phone from my locker. I dialed Charlie's number. I headed across the room, pacing back and forth while listening to the phone ring. Charlie needed to know.

"Foster, hi! This is Charlie's mom. I have his phone right now because he's grounded, but I can tell him that you called if you'd like," her happy voice rang through my ears. I gulped. "Foster, sweetie?"

"Mrs. Conway.., I uh, I'm at the hospital right now," my voice broke, "there was a little, uh.., accident at Hans shop and uh.., Mrs. Conway, Hans didn't make it."

The line became silent.

"I'll tell Charlie, thank you dear," she faintly said before quickly hanging up.

I slowly slid my phone back into my pocket. What was I going to do? I felt terrible. I killed Hans.