forty eight | benchwarmers

F O S T E R G R A Y

F O S T E R
G R A Y

-the next day

"Mrs. Cameron, Mr. Bombay, you see, when Foster here was hit during the game against Canada, she had concussion, but you previous doctor didn't see that. Foster never really cured from it either. All of her symptoms went away, but she jumped back into the game too quickly and it caused her concussion to come back, or to worsen. That's why she got so sick last night and passed out. There was too much pressure on her head," the doctor explained.

My legs dangled from the uncomfortable table I sat on in the tiny room. On the two chairs beside me sat Mrs. Cameron and Coach Bombay who listened to the doctor more than I did. Back at the hotel, Mr. Cameron kept my friends in line. He was furious with them.

I heard Coach Bombay sigh which caused me to glance up. He looked at me with sorrow.

"I'm sorry, Foster, this is my fault. I made you practice after the Iceland game when you really needed to rest, and I, I was quick to put you back into the game. Foster I'm sorry," he apologized. I didn't know how to respond. I hated that he was blaming it all in himself, but of course, I would've said something. I knew I wasn't ready.

I looked up at the doctor, "so that means I don't get to play against Iceland? The championship game?"

The doctor sadly shook his head, "I'm sorry, but no."

My frown grew. I was looking forward to that game so much. Defeating Iceland, getting to play in the final game, getting to show everyone what I was made of but now, I couldn't, and it was my fault. I sighed.

   "And there's no type of therapy or anything I can do to make my head heal faster?" The doctor shook his head again with an unrealistic frown. What was I thinking anyways?

I made it back to the dorms with a frown on my face. Everyone had been in class, but I wasn't there because of the doctors appointment.

I wanted to go see the gang, but Coach Bombay wanted me to go back to the dorms and rest, so I did what I was told.

I laid in the cool bed, my sheets covering my whole body and half of my face. I faced the window so if someone come into my room, they probably wouldn't have noticed me.

I wore a pair of grey comfortable shorts and a maroon Guns N Roses t-shirt that used to be Lucas's. I was tired, and I still didn't feel the greatest.

Mrs. Cameron has taken my phone not because she had to, but I wanted her to. It wasn't good for my eyes at the moment, and though I was rarely on it, I didn't want to be tempted.

I had eventually fallen asleep out of boredom. The team had two more hours of class so I was alone. It sort of felt nice, but I missed Adam.

Waking up, I felt someone sitting on the edge of my bed. I could hear the TV with the show Chicago PD playing in the background. I knew who sat there. It was Adam.

I tiredly sat up and looked at the boy at the edge of the bed though he couldn't see me.

"Adam?" I questioned. The boy threw the remote onto the chair beside the tv stand and turned to me quickly. He smiled. He leaned forward onto the bed beside me causing me to fall backwards. He laid on my chest with his arm around me and he held me tightly which only caused me to smile.

I placed my hand on the back of his head and started to play with his hair.

   "We're both benchwarmers now, huh?" he spoke, trying to lighten the mood. I let out a small laugh. He was right.

   "I guess so..," I murmured. Both of us were desperate to play in our final game. Hockey meant everything to us. It was a career, more so for Adam since there were no girls in the NHL.

   I wanted to cry because I was so angry at myself but I couldn't. My eyes traveled back down to Adam. I removed my hand from his hair and let it fall beside me onto the bed.

   "You know what Coach told me?" Adam spoke up. He looked up at me. He knew I was upset.

   "Huh?" I questioned.

   "He said that we have many shots in our future. That this is just a bump in the road that'll get us closer to success. The scouts definitely know who we are, they know our names, and they have us written on their notepads countless times. They know who we are. That's a great chance for us!" He told me. I shut my eyes and sighed.

   "You, Adam, they know you. Sure they know me, but I don't have a future in hockey at all. I'm a girl," I said with defeat. Adams breathing became slower as if he was calm.

   "Foster, don't think that. I'm sure they're watching you play and watching Connie and Julie play and as well as all of these other girls and seeing how well girls can play just like the boys. Seriously. How much do you want to bet that they're gonna let girls in the NHL or maybe there's going to be a Woman's National Hockey League," he tried to cheer me up, but it wasn't working. I was down and I hated to be. The game was over for me.

   I sighed for what felt like the hundredth time, "thank you, Adam, but it's not going to be the same. I want to play with the boys. I know I'm good enough."

   I felt Adam nod his head. He smiled up at me.

   "You are good enough."