sixty nine | varsity

(banksie in the corner 🥺)

F O S T E R
G R A Y

-eden hall academy
-lunch time

  "I get that I'm a girl, and to the boys, I seem weak and make an easy target, but did they really have to be so rough on me at practice? Adam, it feels like I got hit by a truck," I groaned as I walked down the lunch line with the boy.

    Practice was terrible. I tried my hardest to fight back, but these boys were tougher than I could imagine. Even Adam could hardly keep them off of him, but they didn't go hard on him like they did to me.

   I thought it was all unfair. Coach Wilson wasn't happy to have me on his team. You could tell he was an old fashion kind of guy and didn't think girls belonged in the sport. I knew that I wouldn't be playing in any game. I wanted to play so bad, but my hands were completely tied.

  I wasn't allowed in the locker room until all of the boys were done, and they take forever. I literally only had five minutes to change. After practice was the same deal. Five minutes to get changed. I figured it would've been much easier if I took my skates off and walked back to the dorms to get dressed.

   So after practice, I headed back to my dorm where Julie wasn't, got dressed and ready for the school day. I wore a jean skirt with a green long sleeved shirt that was super comfortable. I had my hair in two neat Dutch braids and I also wore a pair of earrings Isaac had gotten me for Christmas one year.

   With the Varsity team, they wouldn't give me a varsity jacket like they had with Adam. It was like I was on the team, but I wasn't at the same time.

   Now we had to sit at the stupid lunch table with the stupid Warriors and do whatever they said to do. I had no control over anything.

   I hadn't had a chance to talk to any of the Ducks today, aside from Ken. Ken was happy for me but was also concerned at the same time.

   Connie, well, everyone knew how she felt. She glared at me every time I saw her and would mumble something under her breath, but I tried not to think about it so much.

   "I'm sorry, Foster, I really am. I don't know why they're so tough on you. You're literally a beast on the ice. But in my opinion, you killed them and I don't think they're going to be rough on you anymore the way you fought back," Adam told me which only caused a small smile to grow on my face. I knew he was right, however, I still wasn't good enough.

  "Thanks, but Coach Wilson isn't going to let me play, and it's going to feel like I got a full scholarship just to be a benchwarmer and I hate that," I groaned. After he paid for his food, he grabbed ahold of my hand. We came to a stop to the side and looked around the crowded room.

   "Where's your lunch?" He asked me. I looked up and shrugged my shoulders.

   "I don't have one today, I'm sorry, I just didn't have time this morning and I'm not really hungry," I admitted. If I was going to play with the varsity team, then I needed to stay fit and get into shape. And if that meant skipping meals again, I would.