The perfect crime

One by one, Minerva McGonagall counts all the students of her house.They are all present in the room. Everybody present and in pijamas. Boys and girls. Safe, whole, good. In distant points from the castle the heads of the Ravenclaw houses and Hufflepuff, and naturally, the head of the Slytherin house, do the same work. In Gryffindor, as in every corner of the castle, the students demand to know what happened.

-They are taking care of first aid in the infirmary. First thing in the morning and just to make sure it doesn't happen to you. Nothing of importance, they will transfer him to St. Mungo's. No need to worry. Headmaster Dumbledore himself was the one who found him and took over the situation. Whoever he did, he took advantage of the darkness of the castle. By surprise. And he had no intention of hurting him more or he could have done it. A couple of kicks, a couple of punches. And that's it.

Professor McGonagall makes a dispassionate summary of what has happened. As if she were telling what happened during the exams or that had been changes in the breakfast menu. She says it naturally but sternly. Even this. Who has attacked a student. Inside the castle.

Probably - he doesn't say that but Remus can't stop thinking about it, which is the most reasonable thing - it was someone from the castle.

Someone who hates Daniel.

Someone who knew where he was that night.

Someone who, perhaps, had seen him with him. What they were doing.

Someone desperate and angry with enough despair inside.

The teacher sends everyone to their rooms and Remus can't see anything or anyone because he says one, one sentence before leaving, not being possible that she said it, it cannot be and like all things impossible, it ends up happening.

- Wait, Mr. Black, Headmaster Dumbledore wants to see you at his office.

Sirius. Dumbledore wants to see Sirius.

Remus's body is full of marks. And they all scream and scream and they want to talk about his pain. But above all his scars, there is one that night screams and kicks and cries desperately. It is the reddish mark of the neck, the one Sirius has furiously licked, the one he has kissed with the same rage that would need a Black to attack at night, by surprise and at treason.

Sirius follows McGonagall's footsteps in the direction of Dumbledore's office, out of the warm protection of Gryffindor common room. He is almost off when he looks back, possibly looking for something to guide him. Remus is unable to look at him and loathes himself for it more deeply than he has ever detested anyone or anything.

Not even the moon.