A family for the man

James is lying on the bed when he hears the sound of the engine he so well recognises. He puts aside the copy of "Romeo and Juliet" that his father has given to him, arguing that "no girl can resist" and he thanks all known gods and variants for the known interruption, because all that about the Capulets and the Montagues still doesn't give him any clues on how to get Lily to date him.

They knock on the door just as he is reaching the threshold. Does not need to look to know who it is.

Sirius brings a backpack and has left the motorbike at the entrance. He seems tired.

- Will you let me camp in your garden?

- Has your family kicked you out of the house?

-I don't know- he says. - The only family I've always have has not yet answered my question.

James tries to resist the urge to greet him with a big bear hug, but when Sirius gets sentimental, he destroys all his stupid male correctness defences and he has no more remedy than to hug him.

- Because it was a stupid question. You already know the answer.

He opens the door for him to enter the huge cottage. And he insists that he doesn't have to sleep in the garden. But Sirius is persistent, for not saying stubbornly. He wants to camp, and an alternative is quite out of the question.

- I want to see the stars, Jimmy. Now that I am free.

He leaves him alone in the backyard, lying on his back, with that indecipherable expression that could be calm or anguish. He doesn't know whether to go to his room or staying out there, as if the first option were like abandoning him to his fate.

-I sent that letter to Remus as soon as he arrived.

- Thanks, mate.

He says it solemnly.

- You're welcome, brother.

Neither of them says it only because of the letter, but for everything.