Times are changing

They have always sat the same way to eat. James and Sirius together, and Peter and Remus in front of them. Lily next to Remus, next to other girls who spend more time trying to capture the attention of the Quidditch stardust than talking to her. That night, the first one of their seventh year, they honor the traditions and sit back in their old places and hear that first welcome phrase that is repeated year after year.

- Welcome, welcome everyone to a new year at Hogwarts!!!!!!

The only ones paying attention are the first-year children in the front rows. Is the same speech every year, presentation of the teachers - all are repeated this year-, school rules, Filch's list of prohibitions and so on. Remus asks about the summer, and prays that that foot that is brushing his leg is not James.

- So you saw England winning against Pakistan. Historical match.

- It was a historic weekend. Prongs got a tattoo on his ass. Do you want to see it, Lily?

The girl narrows her eyes and continues with her spinach mousse with eighty kinds of cheese.

- Please, Black, I'm having dinner.

- The truth is that it was mythical. - James takes advantage of his moment to take revenge.- In fact, I call it "The weekend that Sirius Black rejected a girl because he is in love with some lucky lass".

Remus chokes on his food and coughs violently. He is still drying his tears when he asks:

- Really?

If the answer is "yes" he has several spells to disappear off the face of the earth and enlist with the Flying Dutchman.

- Bollocks James!!!!!!!!!!! - Sirius is quick to answer. Lily also looks on with interest, but it is to Remus that Sirius directs the next, more vehement "No". - This stupid shameless ass has made it all up! Everything- he emphasises. - There is no girl.- he insists and continues insisting "Zero girls" until he thinks that Remus believed him. - They're all his inventions. He shakes his head in nodding movements so often that it is affecting his brain seriously.

- If you say so, you would be an idiot. Wait, - James puts down the spoon, like he had a big reveal - that means he really is in love!!!

Lily reaches out to reach for the boar milk.

- And to think that I have lived a whole summer without your comedy.

- Has it been hard for you, Lily? - Sirius asks.

Through his teeth, James mutters, "not as hard as you when you think of the mysterious girl ".

- There is no girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!- Again, lower, addressed to Remus, Sirius repeat again. - There-is-no-girl.

- Hey, Remus. - James winks at him. - We have to find out who the lucky one is. I have taken it as a personal challenge. I want to see Sirius married and with children.

Lily finds the very idea of ​​imagining Sirius at the altar so funny that she gets boar milk ejected from her nose. They eat and dine, laugh, and celebrate the arrival of the course, exactly the same as any other year, except for that detail in which nobody notices. Sirius's foot, under the table, brushing against Remus's leg throughout dinner.

Just one detail. Under the surface. Maybe a sign that the times are really changing.