Alone again, naturally

Spending the summer at Hogwarts has so many advantages. "Oh yeah, for sure, absolutely". Lots of them. Infinite For starters, Remus has learned the special secret recipe of the elves for pumpkin pie thanks to the idle hours that he has spent with them baking cakes. Also, now he can proudly say that he does not have left to read any volume of "Encyclopedia of the invisible and impossible things." For the first time in years, the Gryffindor boys' room is clean and tidy and always, at any time, he can listen to his favourite music as loud as he wants and without hearing protests. 

Not to mention all the things he has learned. For example, that the Hogsmeade baker, Mr. Rufugus, brings ten kinds of different bread every day at six in the morning and that, before leaving, he always stops to talk to Professor McGonagall for a little while. Even just to talk about the weather. "It looks like it's going to rain. It seems like it. Have a wonderful day. Indeed, same to you". Every morning.

He has also learned that Professor Dumbledore has a few Muggle binoculars that he calls "Spyglass" and that he likes to observe birds first thing in the morning with a copy of "Guide to birds and Scottish seals: an introduction " in the hands. Wednesday of his second week of summer, Remus meets him at a safe distance of the Whomping Willow, trying to recognize the chirp of a swallow and desperate to talk to someone else than to spend half an hour listening to what Albus Dumbledore has to say about the different species that can be seen at Hogwarts at that time of year.

The good man loves birds.

- What about you, son?

- I confess that I do not know much about birds, sir.

Dumbledore believes that everyone has a passion for some animal.

- It says a lot about us, Remus, that which leads us to love one, and hate another.

When asked which one he likes, Remus makes sure the dose of nostalgia that strikes him is not deadly.

- I have a soft spot for dogs.

- Oh yeah- Dumbledore smiles and gets excited - the dogs. Big friends of Man, very faithful. Quite fierce but with good instincts.

A good definition, yes sir. Sounds familiar.

Dumbledore puts on his binoculars and looks for the swallow that fly over the Whomping Willow.

-Too bad about the fleas- Dumbledore says, with that jovial tone of voice that makes everything more difficult for Remus. Everything. The days, the nights, the constant absence, the damn feeling of drowning, the lilting passage of time, the anguish that assails him some nights when silence is unbreathable, the nagging pain in her heart when he misses him so much that makes him want to scream. Everything.

Dumbledore sounds pleased and Remus appears calm. As always. EVEN if sometimes it is more difficult than others. Sometimes when the summer rolls on and you haven't received any owl from London, even though you have sent several, it is terribly difficult. But Remus clings to his calm. Because calm keep the animal at bay.