Expedition: Black's edition

Gringotts, the bank of the Magical World has a whole gallery dedicated to the Blacks. In fact, Alusius Nigulus Black, the great-great-great-great-grandfather of Sirius sponsored one of the sections of the bank, named after him since then. With this background, it could be assumed that the arrival of a Black would be greeted with a certain degree of disproportionate flattery. But when Sirius arrives all he gets is gnome grunts.

Those dwarves have worse character than him.

The one who leads him to his vault is especially surly. When he turns the key for Sirius to withdraw some money seems angry. And back to the surface, he does not speak to him.

- You don't like people taking money, right? With how beautiful it is, everything piled high and shiny, just for you, isn't it?

The goblin ignores him but when he leaves the bank to meet again with James, he looks him up and down and spits out words like darts.

-His socks are mismatched- he says. And he limps off, with his pointed ears and his olive green suit.

- Your family has not given your permission to withdraw money from the vault? - James asks Sirius when he leaves.

- I guess so. But I have had a vault for myself for years. I also know how to save, what were you thinking?

James has heard that tone of offended dignity too many times to believe it by now.

- And when you say save, I suppose you mean ...

-... that I've been stealing money from my parents for years knowing that sooner or later they would throw me out of the house.

They head to take a look at the shops in Diagon Alley. The exam isn't until late in the afternoon and London is bustling with activity, he calls them with his charm displayed so that they cannot resist. Instead of stopping at the shops for books and cauldrons, for wands and trinkets like every September when they go to get their things for school, they prowl through pubs and stop to watch musicians playing without a band. Until they arrive at the Knocturn Alley entrance and Sirius continues straight towards the inside. James puts a hand on his arm.

- We can't go in there.

- Yes we can. You put one foot behind the next and you'll see how you can do it. You're a grownup, James, I don't have the need to teach you how to walk.

- It's Knocturn Alley! My mother says it's home to everything sinful and forbidden, and dangerous and not a single whatever is legal. She says there are things a decent man never should see.

- Potter, why do you think I want to go in?

Seen like this, James can't think of a good answer. The alley has the allure of fresh grass when they just put up that sign that prohibits stepping on it.

- If my mother asks, you drugged me and forced me to enter.

- And if you ask mine, surely you have died and you are in hell.

They step into the shadows without looking back.